Need help with some German

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kubed

Reaction score
SWMBO and I have been trying to think of a brewery name for a little while, and after reading Yuri’s suggestion to translate something simple into German I think we’ve found it. I’m thinking “Sin City” Brewery, However I’m not sure if it should be “Sünde Stadt” or “Stadt der Sünde.”

Kubed said:
SWMBO and I have been trying to think of a brewery name for a little while, and after reading Yuri’s suggestion to translate something simple into German I think we’ve found it. I’m thinking “Sin City” Brewery, However I’m not sure if it should be “Sünde Stadt” or “Stadt der Sünde.”
The first is closer, but the Germans would make it one word “Sündestadt”. The second in not wrong, just different, like we might use "city of sin" in some circumstances.
Tschuss.
Jeremy

I don't wanna be a pain but 'Sünde Stadt' is kinda wrong not only does it sound weird it also is wrong grammer wise. Properly translated Sin city means 'Stadt der Sünde.'
If you guys need something translated just hit me up... I lived on the other side of the pond for 21 years :)

Based on Germey's avatar, I am sure he will back me up in saying that "Sin City" in German is written “Köln”

;)

coyotlgw said:
Based on Germey's avatar, I am sure he will back me up in saying that "Sin City" in German is written “Köln”

;)
Naw, couldn't really say that about a city where the Cathedral is visible from virtually anywhere you stand. The avatar is actually from Düsseldorf, where I learned to drink beer so many many years ago. Also where I learned to speak German, and I must respectfully disagree with Dan. The verb-noun, single word construct is prevalent throughout the language. It doesn't sound correct only because it is not an existing word. It is not really correct in English either, except that we're all used to it now. The pairing of two unrelated words into a new proper noun has a rich German history in the form of names given out to immigrants in the late 1700's.
He is spot on about St. Pauli, though, the Reeperbahn makes Vegas look tame.:tank:
Cheers,
Jeremy

Germey said:
Naw, couldn't really say that about a city where the Cathedral is visible from virtually anywhere you stand.

Yeah, but the only city in Germany that taxes prostitution? :)

Germey said:
The avatar is actually from Düsseldorf, where I learned to drink beer so many many years ago.

Right, (printed in the avatar), and so as Düsseldorf and Cologne are arch-rivals.... oh nevermind, it was funny in my head :)

Technically, I lived in Duisburg, but could ride my bike to Düsseldorf easier than I could ride anywhere in Duisburg (plus, Duisburg just wasn't as nice). The whole rivalry thing always cracked me up there. North v. South, that town is full of idiots, that other side of the street marries their cousins...
It seemed like it was in their blood.
Sorry for missing your joke, and implying you can't read (it is really small though) :)

isnt there a sin city brewery in las vegas? not that it matters since youre translating, just thought id ask to see if my memory is correct.

There is a Sin City Brewing Co here in Vegas...I know because it's what I wanted to name my brewery too!:D

Back