cold crash? hop screen. help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davis119

Reaction score
Ok so I forgot to put my steel wool under my pick up tube before the boil.

What are my options besides being carefully when I rack to 2ndary or bottling bucket.....

Does cold crashing bring all the hop junk to the bottom?

You should siphon this batch. Time will let the trub/excess hops fall out. Use a siphon and go from top of the beer down keeping the wand off the bottom and out of the leftover hops. Also when you rack to secondary you can put a hop bag around the end of the siphon tip (going into secondary) that will catch most of the hops that you do pick up.

Yeah alot settles already. Ill siphon from the top. And use the hop bag. Ill rack to a secondary just to try to loose some more of the crap.

Im just bummed I already ended up alot less then I wanted ill loose alot more due to racking over it

It happens... I did the same thing on my RyiIPA. With about 1.25lbs of hops i only got about 4 gallons out of a 7 gallon boil. I now use a lobster screen inside my kettle that dosent let the hops get sucked out. My girlfriend gave me the idea and it worked like a charm!

I told my self last night id prob forget it. I just used my keggle to heat sparge for the first time. Instead of my 20qt. Pot. I need to attach a permanent screen and get my losses figured out. I think I loose about 1.5gl per hr boil

Back