Tasting Notes on Recent Tastings...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Last night I had a 22 of the Evan Williams Fortified Winter. And damn, is it still, um, fortified. Seriously. That junk will lay you OUT. I never realized how much 2 cups of bourbon would fortify 5 gallons of winter ale. But I love it...probably because of how much I love bourbon---'specially my namesake. This is evolving, though...it's been awhile since I had the last one. The bourbon is integrating more and more, and the sweet malt is shining through again. This is a true-blue dessert beer. I had it with a vanilla oreo (at the in-laws, I never have that stuff in my house!) last night, and it was a pairing made in heaven. Prob'ly all the vanilla and oak in there...

Also, as I type, I'm polishing off a 22 of the Hoppy Holidays IPA. This bottle is much better than the last few I've had. They had seemed like they were getting a little sour, and I was getting worried, as the sourness was completely ruining the effort I went through of dryhopping on cascade for 2 weeks. This one, though...damn. One of the best. The dry hopping is shining like a golden beacon in the middle of a bunch of malt. I do wish I had made this more bitter, but I'm still having trouble with my IBU's. I get rolling boils every time, and I keep my hops foodsaver'd and frozen...but every time I do an IPA, it seems to turn out less better than I want. Next time I'm gonna take no prisoners, and rock like 150 IBU's in ProMash. That should do it. As it stands, though, I am in love with this stuff---the good bottles, at least. This one tastes like Rogue's Dryhopped red ale.

Speaking of which, if you haven't tried Rogue's dryhopped Red Ale, go out right now and find some. It's pure magic. Comes in 12oz bottles, in 6-packs. Wow. You wanna talk about delicious hops...

Back