Lemon... Lots of Lemon!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeedaman21

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of honey ale a couple weeks ago and decided on a whim to add 1oz of lemon verbena leaf to it. It is readily apparent that 1oz was WAY to much, as all I can taste in the samples is the sour/tart lemon leaf flavor covering up everything else. How long should/could I wait to let the flavor mellow?

let 'er sit in primary for 3-4 weeks at least, then bottle as usual. Let the bottles sit for 3 weeks, as usual.

...as usual...as usual...as usual... see a trend? ;)

Let it ride and taste a bottle here or there after the third week and see where it's at. The taste now may be very different after it sits in a bottle for a while. Only experimenting will let you know.

You may think it's the greatest beer ever at 2 weeks in the bottle, or at one year in the bottle.

Keep notes for future reference so you can brew it again if you like it!

:mug:

Citrus is one of those notes that can go south really fast (as in too much). I have used way too much lemon in one of my batches, and it took a good couple of months to mellow out, and even then, it wasn't as mellow as I wanted it. I tend to stay away from citrus now, specifically for that reason. :cross:

Back