Higher OG than expected - 1.152

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpatton

Reaction score
Hello,
Last night I made a double IPA kit:

12 lbs ultralight extract
1 oz Glacier (bittering)
1 oz Centennial (flavoring)
1 oz Sterling (aroma)
1 oz Centennial (dry hop secondary)

The expected OG from the kit was 1.082. I came up with 1.152. Quite a surprise. I did a partial boil, 2 gallons. Perhaps that affected the OG? I took my sample from the wort, not from the fermenter. Any thoughts on if that caused the high OG, or what else could have?

Thanks!
Rob

first off did you top off to 5 gallons before you took a reading? next did you pull the sample from the bottom or top of the brew pot?

taking a gravity reading from a 2 gallon wort when it should be 5 gallons will give you a false high reading. also extract has the tendency to want to sit on the bottom of the brew pot. if you took a sample from the bottom of the pot it will give you a false high reading.

That is double what it should be. I am guessing you took the sample before you topped it off to 5 gallons.

Yes, I took the sample from the pot, and probably near the bottom due to the wine thief I was using. Thank you for the feedback - I guess I won't worry about the beer, just a shame I don't have an accurate reading. The past two times I sampled from the pot it was right on the expected OG, but it sounds like it is better to bring it to the full 5 gallons first.

Thanks everyone!
Rob

If the last two times were right on before adding top off water, then they really weren't right on. Once you add the top off water, the OG will come down depending on the amount of water added. If you didn't add any water, then they would have been right on.

You could probably still try for an OG reading now (be sterile!), unless you've got fermentation already?

Back