Transplanting grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBeer44

Reaction score
For as long as i can recall my grandpa has had grapes growing in the yard. He died years ago and my grandma just passed also, now with the house up for sale i wanted to transplant some of the grapes to my yard, but i do not know how. Google tells me to take cutting from last years growth and plant, I have a semi green thumb, but it cannot be that easy. What else is involved? I live in MO, zone 6. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do not know the grape variety, i would guess the age of the grape vines to be 30+ years.

Much better to take cuttings than transplant, the vines will establish much better. late winter is a good time to take cuttings, about 4-6 inches long and pencil thickness.
One traditional way is to get a big pot filled with wet sand and bury cuttings vertical but upside down in the sand, with the bottom of the cuttings about an inch from the surface. You can use a plastic bucket with holes drilled for drainage.
Leave this outside but keep the sand damp. As the weather and the sand warm up, the heat will get to the bottom of the cuttings (which is now at the top) and stimulate root growth. When you see green shoots emerge from the sand its time to empty the whole thing and plant the cuttings.

If you are confused, contact your local extention office and explain to them what you are trying to do. Chances are, there will be somebody who can help you.

If you can before you sell the home, write it into the contract that you want to come back and get some of the plants before they take them out- My In laws sold their home in the winter and had a clause to let them come back and take a few cuttings and starts from some of the plants that were special to them. They can be fined if they sign it and do not let you get a few cuttings.
I am a member of a great gardening forum and I will ask about other ways to root grape cuttings. BRB

ETA: I just posed your question about grape cuttings to the forum and will update or PM you with any good replies.. EM

Well you can also take cuttings the normal way by just sticking the end in potting mix and waiting for them to strike while keeping them in a humid environment. Grapes strike very easily, it doesn't take much skill, just a little care. In wet climates they have trouble with the prunings dropped on the ground taking root. Late winter just b4 new growth starts is the best time, but you can also use new growth in late spring. You can take cuttings at any time in winter when dormant and keep the canes in a plastic bag in the fridge (not freezer) until you are ready to plant them. In a mild climate you can even stick them straight in the ground, many vineyards were established that way in the old days, but watch out for rabbits or other pests. I do work in a vineyard so am speaking from experience.

Latest posts

Back