Why is it......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to work for Fiskars Brands, a Finnish company, and the handbook specifically stated that, while drinking AT work was prohibited, drinking at meals and returning to work was acceptable so long as the drinking did not inhibit performance or present a safety issue (the factory floor was a 'not a drop' zone, for instance).

I had the occasional lunch with the IT staff where we had a beer or 2. It was awesome.

I think its apparent that you are best accustomed to working with only one hand. At work, when you have two hands available, the second hand is simply a nuisance and burden to the first hand. I think you should try using only one hand at work and see how that goes.

Not me. I drink at home and all I want to do is watch TV or play on the computer.

Then again, while I'm at work, all I want to do is go home and drink beer...

I intended this to be more of a "tongue in cheek" type of humor with a little bit of personal observation. Two issues that this addresses is that 1) we live in a very litigious society, and 2) some people have no or little self control.

On Friday's after lunch we can drink at work. Pretty sweet.

Why would you get more done drinking? Seriously, is it a motivation thing? An inhabitation thing? What?

Some people are wired that way, myself included. I have increased focus after a couple of beers. Some people can't think without caffeine, but when I drink coffee I get very distracted. Fortunately I work for a company that not only allows drinking during work hours (not drunkeness), but they actually provide alcohol regularly.

First job out of college I was in for a week and was still in the training mode and was spending some time with one of the senior partners. Late in the afternoon, we were working with a screen projector and it was getting hot in the room. Seemed like we were developing a good professional rapport, but I was actually very surprised when he offered me a cold beer from the executive fridge. This is, like, 4:30 on a weekday, so I thought for sure he would have one too, and we would just shoot the **** for a half hour and then go home.

Much to my surprise, he went back to his office and I had to return to the cube farm with a full open beer in my hands. Not sure what the company policy was, but my co-workers and immediate supervisor were giving me the stink eye something fierce.

First job out of college I was in for a week and was still in the training mode and was spending some time with one of the senior partners. Late in the afternoon, we were working with a screen projector and it was getting hot in the room. Seemed like we were developing a good professional rapport, but I was actually very surprised when he offered me a cold beer from the executive fridge. This is, like, 4:30 on a weekday, so I thought for sure he would have one too, and we would just shoot the **** for a half hour and then go home.

Much to my surprise, he went back to his office and I had to return to the cube farm with a full open beer in my hands. Not sure what the company policy was, but my co-workers and immediate supervisor were giving me the stink eye something fierce.

Not sure why you left the room with the projector and went back to your cube with a beer in your hand. I would not have done that, probably would have chugged it or got rid of it first.

I have no desire to drink at work. Too early in the day for me and I would rather wait until my workday is done then sit back relax and enjoy. Even on weekends I usually don't have a beer until after 6pm.

Back