American Pale Ale 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HarkinBanks said:
Just made two batches this week. One all mosaic with c-20 and s-05 and one all centennial with c-40 and s-05. I love the simplicity of this recipe. Can't wait to try them.

Speaking of mosaic.....

I brewed this 8 days ago with mosaic up front and homegrown wet chinook at flameout. S-05 at 62 degrees for 6 days, cold crash 1 day and kegged / forced carb'd on day 7 and drinking this now! Gotta say, it's freekin good.

View attachment 137066

Thanks wcarter.

I brewed this 12 days ago. Fermented s-05 ar 68 degress 12 days now. fermentation looks all done. Going to transfer to secondary dry hop for 5 days then cold crash for 24 hrs. Rack to keg and force carb. See any problems here?

Hey this looks like a nice extract brew for a beginner... Question, what do you think it would be like if I spiced it eg with Pumpkin Spice?

AgentPooky said:
Hey this looks like a nice extract brew for a beginner... Question, what do you think it would be like if I spiced it eg with Pumpkin Spice?

It is a good recipe for a beginner I did it as my first extract brew I would suggest brewing it as it is for the first time and judging it for yourself and playing around with it the second time round.

I am going to brew this again but with half cascade and half Zythos hops :)

Chamuco said:
Speaking of mosaic.....

I brewed this 8 days ago with mosaic up front and homegrown wet chinook at flameout. S-05 at 62 degrees for 6 days, cold crash 1 day and kegged / forced carb'd on day 7 and drinking this now! Gotta say, it's freekin good.

Thanks wcarter.

Did you dry hop? I like the idea of a quick fermentation

This is a beer that has big hop flavor and aroma due to all of the late hop additions. I would imagine that would not go well with spices.

But you're certainly welcome to try it, and prove me wrong. :)

Danno81 said:
Did you dry hop? I like the idea of a quick fermentation

I did not dry hop as I wanted to get this on tap quickly but I did use 2.8 ounces of (homegrown) wet hops at flameout.

I haven't done an extract in a while, but I have my 2nd year Cascade hops growing nicely and found this while looking for an extract/cascade only recipe. I think I will try this whenever my hops are ready, it sounds delicious and very quick!

Thanks for sharing!

Eman24dx said:
Can this recipe be done with Liquid Malt Extract? If so how much is needed?

Yep! To convert dry (DME) to liquid (LME) extract, you can use a conversion factor of 1.25. So here, 6lbs DME x 1.25 = 7.5lb LME. If you search around you'll find that some people use a slightly different conversion factor (I've seen 1.2 and even as low as 1.1) but I think 1.25 is pretty commonly accepted and has worked well for me.

You will still want to use the steeping grains though -- if you try to replace those with LME as well you'll get a different (and inferior) beer.

I can't speak to citra, but I can say mosaic is bleeping unbelievably good.

Never done an all-Citra beer, but my house IPA recipe uses a blend of Citra and Centennials, and it is phenomenal. I've brewed the same beer just with the Centennials, and while good, it wasn't nearly as good as the version with the Citras added.

Here is my Amarillo version of this. Bumped up the ABV a bit with a half pound of corn sugar. This also dried it out a bit and helped it to finish lower. Also went with .25 lbs of Crystal 40 for a lighter version. And don't forget the hop stand!

Somewhere in between an IPA than a pale. Simple and fantastic.

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.009
ABV: 6.3%

6lbs Light Dry Malt Extract
.25 lbs Crystal 40
.5 lbs Corn Sugar

2.5oz Amarillo 8.5% AA at 15 min
1oz Amarillo 8.5% AA at 5 min
1oz Amarillo 8.5% AA at flameout
30 minute hop stand

image-2861228521.jpg

fosaisu said:
Yep! To convert dry (DME) to liquid (LME) extract, you can use a conversion factor of 1.25. So here, 6lbs DME x 1.25 = 7.5lb LME. If you search around you'll find that some people use a slightly different conversion factor (I've seen 1.2 and even as low as 1.1) but I think 1.25 is pretty commonly accepted and has worked well for me.

You will still want to use the steeping grains though -- if you try to replace those with LME as well you'll get a different (and inferior) beer.

I've been wanting to try this using the NB gold lme - it already has crystal in unmixed with 2-row so it may be even easier

So I brewed this about 2 months ago. It is fantastic! My LHBS didn't have enough cascade so I used cascade to bitter and glacier for the rest. I'm defiantly going to brew this again soonish. Thinking about going with some high end AA hops and maybe some chiles or peppercorn for a mixup. Big props to the OP for the recipe and lovely canvas for experimentation.

HarkinBanks said:

I got that email from them and thought the same thing! I had to look at their recipe just to see what it was all about.

Although I don't recall making this one, I did give the (thread) recipe to a friend recently. We just popped the first couple over the weekend, and I thought it was fantastic. Doubt I'd buy that kit though.

Made my 3rd batch of this over the weekend.

I made an effort to squeeze out the grain bag to add more malt flavor and I boiled 23 minutes and used BRY-97. The lag time for it sucks and it was 36 hours from making my beer and 16 hours since pitching the yeast and activity is barely noticeable. Once BRY-97 does kick in, it goes hard.

Otherwise, I think I will add Sorachi and Citra for the dry hop and will keg it. This is now my house beer, but I try to change it up in some way every time.

hey whats up friends, i brew a similar version of this, just with different yeast and i plan on dry hoping with citra. any way i wanted to clear up; its 30 days for primary and an additional 7 days for secondary/dry hop? Total of 37 days?

thanks logan

hey whats up friends, i brew a similar version of this, just with different yeast and i plan on dry hoping with citra. any way i wanted to clear up; its 30 days for primary and an additional 7 days for secondary/dry hop? Total of 37 days?

thanks logan

You want to look to dryhop once fermentation is done and things have started to clear up a little, 23-24 days before dry hopping should probably be plenty, but if you're not in a rush and can wait ab it longer it won't do it any harm.

I just bottled this last night. The aroma was fantastic, and the sample I took tasted great, I'm really looking forward to trying it out in a few weeks. :ban:

I'm relatively new to brewing. ~5 extract kits and one extract recipe I found on a site. I made this recipe 2 weeks ago and its in my fermentation chamber. Why is it that this is one is supposed to be in the primary for 4 weeks? All the other brews I've done were in the primary 2 weeks. Isn't it, once it's fine fermenting, it's good to go?

JayUnt said:
I'm relatively new to brewing. ~5 extract kits and one extract recipe I found on a site. I made this recipe 2 weeks ago and its in my fermentation chamber. Why is it that this is one is supposed to be in the primary for 4 weeks? All the other brews I've done were in the primary 2 weeks. Isn't it, once it's fine fermenting, it's good to go?

Ideally, you want to keep it in the fermenter until its finished, as judged by stable gravities x 3, yeast dropped out, and collapsed krausen. Once that happens, add 2-3d to let the yeast "clean up". For this this beer this would almost certainly be by day 14.

The bottom line is, don't get too carried away taking the recipe literally. It's just the OP's description of how he handles the fermentation. After the wort is in the fermenter, it's just "a medium gravity American ale." Ferment it the way you would any other.

My last batch of this I had kegged and drinking in 20 days from making this (was a little early, but totally drinkable with a 30psi force carb, the beer improves flavor the longer its under co2 pressure). Depending on your yeast, it will start to clear in about a week with primary fermentation done. I just started my dry hop yesterday one week after making, 6 days after adding yeast and 5 days after fermentation started basically. Fermentation is now slow and krausen is almost totally gone.

I plan on dryhopping every 3 days for 3-4 1/2 oz additions for about 12 days dryhopping. I wouldn't dry hop more than 2 weeks if just adding hops to the fermenter. I have had grassy flavors with one of my beers I dryhopped for 3 weeks. Once its done, if possible, cold crash to drop the hops out, just be aware of the suction involved with cold crashing from volumetric contraction. I added cold co2 to mine last time I did to prevent it from vacuuming in the airlock sanitizer.

If dryhopping longer, you need to be able to remove the hops. I don't bother with secondary very often, it may help clarifying, but yeast tends to settle out unless it is notorious for bad flocculation. I have no problems not racking to secondary except if needed for long secondary, or in the case of my coffee beer, getting it off the coffee grounds which can add bitterness.

So I'm really diggin' this beer. I just cracked open my first bottle after only 10 days because I was being impatient, and immediately put more in the fridge. I'm gonna give most of them another week, but after just 10 days it's turned out fantastic.

I was in a bit of a rush to put this one out with my others running low. I took gravity readings at day 8 and 10. Fermentation done, so I dry hopped for 7 and bottled. From brew day till out of the bottle, 27 days and I'm really enjoying it. I figure another week will do it some good to mature a bit more, and then they'll be gone rather quickly.

Thanks a lot for the recipe (I followed the original one).

For 5 gallon recipe on a 15 minute boil I'd start work 5.2-5.3. This tends to be the boil off rate for me in my kettle which is tall and slender.

I can't speak to citra, but I can say mosaic is bleeping unbelievably good.

I second this like you wouldn't believe. Drinking my 2nd batch of this brew with a mix of Cascade and Mosaic, dry hopped with Mosaic. It was awesome the first time, even better in version 2.

I'll be brewing this up later with a partial boil. Definitely interested to try it because the ingredients are just extra stuff I've had lying around!

Just tapped this last night. The hop
bill is VERY apparent but the sweetness of the malt balances it
out. The all-cascade profile makes this a simple, very drinkable beer!

Brewed a half batch of this last night. The airlock fumes smell delightfully hoppy :)

Thanks for the recipe! Was looking for just this kind of thing for some easy brewing and drinking!

Question for those who've brewed this using a partial boil: did you use a late extract addition (half at flameout)? How did it work out?

I just put the dme in at 15. Worked perfectly fine for me. Boiled 3 gal, topped up to 5. After topping up I was right on with the OG

CrookedTail said:
How was the bitterness of the final beer? Well-Balanced? Under-bittered?

I bottled it yesterday before work. This weekend is when I need it ready so I can tell ya then. Saturday to be specific. When I bottled though it seemed well balanced, though possibly over bitter compared to the malt. I love a hoppy beer though.

On a side note: I didn't follow the hop additions perfectly. I did
2oz @ 15
1 @ 5
1 @ flameout
2 oz dry hopped for 7 days

Just cracked my first bottle after being bottled for 5 days. Not TOTALLY carbed. But I needed it for a football tailgate tomorrow morning and it's definitely ready. Turned out phenomenal. With the ease of making it, I can for sure say it will be brewed again very soon. Also extremely drinkable. Not too hoppy and has a perfect taste. I'd guess 37-40 ibu? I'm sure everyone at the party will love it. Definitely a great choice.

Latest posts

Back