Brown sugar as an adjunct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBigD

Reaction score
Ive recently decided to venture away from extract kit brewing to devising my own extract recipes and in my latest creation i would like to try using brown sugar as an adjunct in my fall spiced ale. i've heard of brown sugar being used for priming in some porters and dark ales, and also heard that it tends to produce a dryer mouthfeel when added to the boil. whats the best way to impart the brown sugar flavors into my beer without getting that cidery, dry taste that some sugars produce, and if used for priming, whats the proper ratio for a 5 gallon batch? is 5 ounces the same as 5 ounces of dextrose?

Brown sugar dries beer out because the sugar is eaten, leaving only the molasses behind. If you want brown sugar flavor without the dryness, just use a small amount of molasses.

any clue what the ratio would be of molasses to brown sugar?? i planned on using .5 lb of LBS added with the extract after the grains steep.

thanks.
using the cane sugar for blottling makes me a little nervous because of its high femnetability, as i dont want atomic beer bombs going off in my wine cellar where i ferment and condition,, the calculator link will surely help. thanks a bunch man!

thanks.
using the cane sugar for blottling makes me a little nervous because of its high femnetability, as i dont want atomic beer bombs going off in my wine cellar where i ferment and condition,, the calculator link will surely help. thanks a bunch man!

If you use the correct amount then that won't be an issue. Corn sugar is no more or no less "highly fermentable" than cane.

I've had some demerara sugar laying around to brew/prime with. I'm going to try priming my English Bitter with it. It has the taste of light brown sugar laced with honey. The honey flavor is obvious,but not as much as the LBS taste. Should make a good,slight hit on the back.

Back