SD Fair competition - gap between drop off and judging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapinj

Reaction score
I entered a few beers a couple years back where the procedure was drop off and judging onsite same day.

I was looking at the info for this years comp and noticed that dropoff is June 2 but judging isn't until June 30.

Was this just changed this year?

I know there is often some delay between deadlines and drop off but 4 weeks is a lot of time for a beer to be sitting around, particularly hoppy entries.

Not sure if I'll be entering this year again or not, will depend what styles I have ready to go.

I know there is often some delay between deadlines and drop off but 4 weeks is a lot of time for a beer to be sitting around, particularly hoppy entries.

World Cup of Beer drop off deadline was the 15th or 16th of Feb and the final judging isn't until this weekend, that is about 4 weeks. Most competitions seem to be at least 2-3 weeks.

If I don't have to stand in line for two hours to drop off, I'm OK with the waiting four weeks to judging. I know that participants get a free ticket, so is it good for the entry date or judging date?

I think its from the hb drinking going on at the event...the vendors aren't makin money..
Good times tho!!
Also you don't get any of the beers back from the comp either.

That line sucked last year when registering the beers so I guess that's a plus of not doin this year.

Igotsand

I think its from the hb drinking going on at the event...the vendors aren't makin money..

Igotsand

I think it had more to due with permitting and them not being able to control under age drinking. But I will miss hanging out and drinking the friends looser beers.

If you want to drink some home brew sign up to be a steward, Im sure they will need some. I judged last year and will be judging this year too. When ever I judge, if a beer is not heading on to the mini best of show, but is good we tell the stewards that they should try this one. And if its a really bad one we tell them its awesome! :cross:

The past few years the competition has really grown, I think there where 1200 entries last year, and 900 the year before.

I think it had more to due with permitting and them not being able to control under age drinking. But I will miss hanging out and drinking the friends looser beers.

If you want to drink some home brew sign up to be a steward, Im sure they will need some. I judged last year and will be judging this year too. When ever I judge, if a beer is not heading on to the mini best of show, but is good we tell the stewards that they should try this one. And if its a really bad one we tell them its awesome! :cross:

The past few years the competition has really grown, I think there where 1200 entries last year, and 900 the year before.

Which categories dont have a ton of entries normally?

How did everyone do at the comp this year?
Anyone place?

I entered 5 beers this year and 3 ribboned!!!

First place in Belgian and French ale(16), also fourth place(wife entered for me) both were saisons..
And third place in the smoked/wood(22) for my 3year old BA RIS....

Sooo stoked!! Sorry had to gloat :ban:

Nice! Good job!

I thought about entering this year, but the only thing I had ready was my DIPA and the day of registering I had one and it didn't taste good (First brew on my new system). I had another one the same day as the judging and it improved greatly! Maybe not good enough to place (especially in that category) but oh well...

I also got the invite to Judge, but I have had so much going on the last month I couldn't justify spending a day drinking at the fair.

I entered three and felt strongly about my Mounds Porter at least placing. It did not. 23A must have had quite a few entries. My cream ale was a little green and my IPA was too bitter without enough hop flavor or aroma to balance it out. I can't wait to see the scorecards. Congrats with the first place entry. I am brewing like Jehu in order to get bottles ready for other comps!

Brewing like Jehu! Ha! good one...

I was judging next to 23A, they had three or four judges, I saw at least three gushers! but they had a lot of entries, lots of solo judging going on. I judged 12 solo. I heard a rumor that next year the judging is going to be done off site, and there will be an awards ceremony at the fair, and may be have live judging of best in show...but that just what a couple people where saying. We where using the truncated score sheets so there was not to much room to wright comments.

Bsquared said:
Brewing like Jehu! Ha! good one...

I was judging next to 23A, they had three or four judges, I saw at least three gushers! but they had a lot of entries, lots of solo judging going on. I judged 12 solo. I heard a rumor that next year the judging is going to be done off site, and there will be an awards ceremony at the fair, and may be have live judging of best in show...but that just what a couple people where saying. We where using the truncated score sheets so there was not to much room to wright comments.

I think that category is certainly prone to "the gusher". I hope they get it figured out next year. This year did not seem as festive. Maybe because we were not allowed to drink our entries like years past ;-) Were you judging the meads?

I think that category is certainly prone to "the gusher". I hope they get it figured out next year. This year did not seem as festive. Maybe because we were not allowed to drink our entries like years past ;-) Were you judging the meads?

Yes I had Melomels, 11 C (Specialty fruit) and 1 A (traditional). I did not hang out long this year, I had plans for later in the afternoon, but it's been getting less festive the past few years. The winner was a Raspberry chipotle mead, It was very balanced, great fruit and pepper heat balance with some smokey notes and a good dry finish. I don't normally drink meads but that was a good one.

I think a good Idea would be to give each person who enters one or two drink tickets, and have a couple of the local breweries brew up a batch of the best of show and runner up from the previous year to be served during the awards ceremony.

Back