Crap! Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry about that^^ but with this schedule, I had a brew day planned and something came up to where I cannot brew today. I made a yeast starter a day ago thinking I was going
To brew today. Is there any way I can save my starter?!?! Can I just refrigerate it?!?!

How long until you will brew? If within a couple of days I would just let it continue. If longer, refrigerate then warm it up before pitching. If longer than a week or so, I would add another addition of wort to rebuild the cell counts.

yes, it will be just fine in the fridge. hopefully you already have a piece of foil over the opening, if not sanitize one and cover it up.

i always put my starter in the fridge for about 48 hours before brewing - it's call cold-crashing. after that time the yeast will settle (flocculate) at the bottom of the jar/flask. when it comes time to use the starter, you can easily pour off the spent beer and pitch only the yeast slurry. that spent beer is way oxidized so it's best to keep it out of your beer. it's typically not a huge amount so not a big deal, but i'm a knit-picker and want only fresh beer in my final batch.

Latest posts

Back