Brun water - Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a Bohemian pilsner, I use 100% RO water. For a German pilsner, I might use a bit of calcium chloride, but not sulfate. I found that noble hops taste a bit harsh to me when using water with sulfate in it. It's just personal preference I'm sure.

Sulfate was my main question. Comps. have come back with "great malt character but need more hop presence." Wondering if yellow bitter profile would accentuate that. I only used 3 additions of hops, so maybe just "more" hops - perle at 60, sazz at 30, sazz at 15. 1 ounce each in 5 gallons. Maybe just throw in a couple more ounces of sazz right at the end? So, your bopils you just go 100% RO, no additions?

Sulfate was my main question. Comps. have come back with "great malt character but need more hop presence." Wondering if yellow bitter profile would accentuate that. I only used 3 additions of hops, so maybe just "more" hops - perle at 60, sazz at 30, sazz at 15. 1 ounce each in 5 gallons. Maybe just throw in a couple more ounces of sazz right at the end? So, your bopils you just go 100% RO, no additions?

Yes, BoPils is 100% RO now. I have added a bit of calcium chloride and gypsum in the past, but found some advice from AJdeLange, and decided to go 100% RO with great results.

Thanks yooper - I am going to be brewing two pilsners over the next month, I think I will try one with 100% RO and one with RO plus some minor additions.

Back