Trouble Dispensing from 10gal Corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingChemist

Reaction score
Hi All,
Have a 10 gallon corny is usually used for a secondary. About a month ago, we decided to use it as an actual corny for dispensing beer. However, we are having a big problem. No matter what pressure we have the beer at it only dispenses foam! We brought up the CO2 pressure over about 2 weeks using the "set and forget" method. The CO2 was set at approximately 12psi. We tried dropping the CO2 down to 5 and it didn't help. We are getting super frustrated! Is there anyone out there that has had a similar problem or has any suggestions? Anyone else use a 10gal corny to actually dipense from?? Is there something with the dimensions that it needs more or less CO2? Thanks!

I had a bad oring on the dip tube once that let co2 into the line causing all kinds of foam. I also had a beer once that foamed really bad no matter what I did. Never did figure it out, just drank half glasses until it was gone.

If I had to guess, you have a hole in your dip tube up near the top and it's pulling a stream of co2 into the output on the way past.

If you pull the dip tube out and seal one end with a finger, blowing in the other should let you know if it's the dip tube. If you can pressurize it and don't have to replace the air, you're probably good, if it hisses, it's time for a new dip tube, or an adventure with silver solder, if you roll that way. Sanitize it before putting it back in the keg.

I had a whole batch of cider I served all foamy and I assumed it was because cider is weird but when I took it apart, I found the hole in the dip tube.

Cheers.

BSD

Make sure the dip tube and liquid post don't have any stuff stuck in them. I've gotten bits of hop stuck in both places, and it can wreak havoc on your beer (foam from hell).

Back