My beer is about to blow! What do i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdkirk86

Reaction score
I brewed it yesterday and it already has spewed out the top a little bit. Is there ANYTHING i can do to prevent it?

2012-08-13 17.28.31.jpg

I use a 1/2" hose, it fits over the upright stem in your 3 piece airlock, then place the other end into a growler or some other container of star san.

Take the lid off of your airlock and attach a tube to the tube in the center of the airlock. Run the other end of the tube you attached into a bucket of water. The "blow off" will run through this tube into the bucket.

+1 on the blow off hose advice given so far. But looking at your pic, IMHO it looks like the worst is over. If I were you, I'd clean out the airlock, sanitze, and call it good.
But if I were you, then you'd be me... and you'd be blowing krausen all over MY carpet:mad:... I can't stop you no matter who you are:cross:

+1 on the blow off hose advice given so far. But looking at your pic, IMHO it looks like the worst is over. If I were you, I'd clean out the airlock, sanitze, and call it good.
But if I were you, then you'd be me... and you'd be blowing krausen all over MY carpet:mad:... I can't stop you no matter who you are:cross:

it does look like the worst over to me ass well, it was comin out the top of the airlock but it isnt anymore. who votes i leave it like it is?

Depends, how long has it been fermenting? Definitely get yourself set up with a blow off for your next beer. I use one 9/10 times a brew.

I use a 1/2" hose, it fits over the upright stem in your 3 piece airlock, then place the other end into a growler or some other container of star san.

+1

As for the beer that blows out being good, it's all condensed krausen and beer that sat on the bubbles. I wouldn't even think about keeping it.

rdkirk86 said:
it does look like the worst over to me ass well, it was comin out the top of the airlock but it isnt anymore. who votes i leave it like it is?

I would put a nice clean airlock on it

Ya, just make up a blow off like heyblinkin said...I use usually use em for the first 5-6 days and then switch out to a standard airlock. Gotta have em!

heyblinkin said:
Depends, how long has it been fermenting? Definitely get yourself set up with a blow off for your next beer. I use one 9/10 times a brew.

+1 above. If your 7 days into fermentation then clean out your airlock and keep going. Again, I would get set up with a blow off tube.

Thanks everyone for your help. its been fermenting for almost 32 hours so i am going to leave. it looks ike the worst is over, but i will for sure be buying some 1/2 inch before my next brew.

I'm pretty sure I've heard a rant about airlocks on the brewing network (BN) and how its by far the most overused brewing tool out there.

I use a 3/8" siphon tubing, i think. I do know it is one size over the standard siphon tubing size. I place it directly in where the airlock goes without the airlock. This leaves less to clean up later.

I want to upgrade to large tubing like just suggested. I have had the smaller tubing clog and blow the top off and make a mess.

My overall suggestions
1. Use a blow off tube at the beginning if fermentation
2. If it looks like its going to get clogged it probably will. Clean it out right away. Tubing filled with sticky krausen will clog if your still fermenting stong.

Latest posts

Back