explosive fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainsock

Reaction score
So i brewed a pumkin ale on sunday night and when i got home on monday the lid from my fermenter was popped off and there was wort all over my carpet :( I quickly put the cover back on but im not sure if everything is cool. I figure im gonna continue with the fermentation and just hope that it didn't get contaminated.

So airlocks are restrictive enough to pop a lid off a bucket? wow...

I'll have to start getting consistant with my active fermentations before I'll be having this problem I'm sure. my last batch made the airlock gurgle for about 4 days only.

My next batch I'm possibly going to primary in one of my new Carboys which I'm sure hold the pressure different than a fermenting pail.

I do 5-gal batches in a 6.5 glass carboy, and have done beers up to about 8% ABV, and never had krausen reach the airlock. Been close, though :) For me at any rate, less than 8% beers and 5 gal in a 6.5 carboy, with airlock, works fine. But heed the other's advice on blow-offs. Such a simple thing to do to alleviate concern.

Not just gravity nor the yeast strain, but if you add any real fruit (puree as opposed to flavor extract--pumpkin counts as the former) it's always a good idea to have a blowoff tube.

airlocks are only restrictive when fermentation causes the krausen to plug up the tiny holes in the bottom of the airlock. and then it goes POP!

I have been using a blow off tube in my primaries (not to hijack this thread) but I don't think it is wide enough.
I just did a coffee stout from 4#'s of LME, 6#'s of DME, and a now unknown yeast, (was a liquid, bring to room temp, shake and pitch at 70-75F). I had a blow off tube and it still blew the top off the bucket. It is the fairly small diameter tube that I use to bottle and siphon with. The primary is a plastic primary Fermenter bucket, about 6 gallons big. I believe with a glass 6.5 carboy I could alleviate a lot of these problems. Fermentation temp was around 60F.
Has anyone else perfected the Blow-off tube?

ARV9673 said:
I have been using a blow off tube in my primaries (not to hijack this thread) but I don't think it is wide enough.
I just did a coffee stout from 4#'s of LME, 6#'s of DME, and a now unknown yeast, (was a liquid, bring to room temp, shake and pitch at 70-75F). I had a blow off tube and it still blew the top off the bucket. It is the fairly small diameter tube that I use to bottle and siphon with. The primary is a plastic primary Fermenter bucket, about 6 gallons big. I believe with a glass 6.5 carboy I could alleviate a lot of these problems. Fermentation temp was around 60F.
Has anyone else perfected the Blow-off tube?

I use 6.5 Gallon Carboys for my Primary Fermentation. I use a Blow Off tube That gets shoved into the neck of the Carboy. A very snug fit. The other end of the blow of tube is submerged in a Plastic Gallon Container that is filled with a Star Sans Solution. Make sure that the hose is submerged in the Star Sans solution. Once fermentaion slows in a couple of days, I then place an air lock on top of the Carboy. I can't remember the diameter of the Blow Off tube that I use, but I am positive that any reputable LHBS could help you out. I have been using this type of Blow Off system for a little over 14 years of Brewing. Works like a Charm and have never had an issue.

Back