Water report question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbaitNammo

Reaction score
im getting ready to do my first brew this week it will be a 5 gallon extract boil (if that matters) and have been wondering if i should use tap water or buy 6 or 7 gallons i went to my citys website and found this water report since i have no idea what to look for in a good brewing water i was wondering if this water report has any helpful info and if by chance it does how does it look??? thanks for your help

http://www.ci.rosemount.mn.us/verti...ds/{7B62A7F5-29C4-43A2-BC2F-C58852F24AD4}.PDF

Filtered water is always better and more important in lighter beer. I run my city water through 2 carbon filters slowly to get the chlorine and chloramine out and have had good success.

That water report, as is true with just about every municipal water report, doesn't contain the info you need to determine if the water would be good for brewing. It's simply a report to tell the public that the water is safe to drink.

What you need is to send a sample to Ward Labs and get the W-6 Household Mineral Test for $16.50, or for $10 more you can get the W-5 Household Complete Mineral Test that includes all the minerals in the W-6 test, and also includes fluoride and iron.

Back