Skinny Shamrock's Hop-a-riffic IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyShamrock

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
White Labs Cali. Ale, WLP 001
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7-10 @ 72*
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 72*
Fermentables:
5 lbs. Briess dry amber malt extract
2.5 lbs. LD Carlton dry light malt extract
1 lb. crushed CaraPils

Hops:
1 oz. US Chinook pellets, 12 AA% (bittering)
1 oz. UK Phoenix pellets, 10 AA% (bittering/flavor)
1 oz. US Cascade pellets, 6.9 AA% (aroma)
1 oz. US Amarillo whole leaf, 9.8 AA% (for dry hopping)

-Fill kettle with 2.5 gals. of water
-Steep CaraPils in a muslin bag for 45 minutes at 155*F
-Bring to boil, remove from heat, add 2 lbs. of amber malt, return to boil
-Add Chinook, begin 60 min. boil
-At 50 minutes, add .25 oz. of the Phoenix
-At 30 minutes, add .25 oz. of the Pheonix
-At 20 minutes, add rest of fermentables (3 lbs of amber and 2.5 lbs of light)
-At 10 minutes, add rest of the Phoenix
-At 5 minutes, add Cascade

-Add to fermenter and top off with spring water to 5 gals, OG=1.072
-If you're clumsy, like me, drop your strainer into your primary, so all the trub is all happy down in there, yay
-Pitch yeast

-Ferment at 72*
-Rack to secondary when SG reaches 1.018 (10ish days)
-Add the leaf Amarillo to secondary in a muslin bag
-Bottle after 14 days

:mug:

put an extra oz in the secondary and dry hop it of you're looking for something Hop-a-riffic. try cascade

UPDATE: I actually left the beer in the secondary for upwards of a month, it was crystal clear when bottled, even though I used no irish moss, it's pretty. It also turned into a Red. I mean, freakin' red. It's awesome. I'm pretty sure that there's no such thing as a red IPA, but I made it.

I also tried the first bottle after just under three weeks of conditioning: the hops are insane. Definitely needs a solid month or more in the bottles to control the hop flavors and bitterness, and there's quite a high alcohol content, it's very present when drinking the bottom half of the glass. And the crystal clear went away, chill haze :(

Made this back in August...just started drinking about 2 weeks ago. It is awesome! Some buddies of mine that are hardcore IPA drinkers, said it was the best homebrew they have ever had!
However, all the bottles are bubbling over after being opened. Next batch I will cut the priming sugar in half.
Cheers!
:mug:

how much priming sugar did you use and how much would you use next time....thinking about trying this one out.

I used 5oz. I think I will used 2.5 oz next time, actually probably use 2.5 oz on all future home brews.

Back