Fermenting temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cos

Reaction score
How critical is the fermenting temperature for ales? The recipe says 66 to 70. In my basement, it's between 70 and 72. My wort has been sitting about 10 hours, it's at 70 degrees and barely bubbling.
I'm leaving on vacation for a few days and with the AC off, it may warm up a couple degrees.

My house is at 70* constantly. My fermenters always run a few degrees warmer, aroud 75* roughly.

If you're really worried put your fermenter into a tub of water while you are gone. Or leave your thermostat on!:D

As talleymonster mentioned, your fermenting wort is going to be warmer than ambient temps because fermentation generates heat. If your basement gets up to 72 degrees, then your wort could easily be in the mid-70's.

Fermenting above the temperature range of your yeast can often produce off flavors, fusel alcohols, etc. Depending on the particular yeast, this may or may not be too significant - but if you can do anything to keep the temp down, it's probably worth doing.

Sticking it in a tub of water is a good plan, and many people will recommend throwing a wet towel over it as well to cool it a bit more with evaporative cooling.

do what you can to keep it cool. lower temperatures (within desired ranges, of course) produce much better beers IMO. Higher temps result in in fruity taste (usually unpleasant) and fusel alcohols (HANGOVER!)

Back