Mead and headaches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
I made my first mead last November. It is a Persimmon Mead that I am happy to say won 1st place at my county fair:D. The problem is that despite it tasting great it gives me an awful headache. I used some crushed Campden tabs in the fruit and am wondering if this is the cause. I never have had a problem with sulfites in the past, at least not in wine. Any problem with not using sulfites(Campden) in my next batch of Persimmon mead this fall?

Fusel alcohols would be my guess. What temp did you ferment at, and did you use nutrients?

It probably isn't the sulfites. They generally don't cause headaches. For people who are sensitive to them (a very,very tiny minority) it tends to cause asthma and respiratory issues.

If you oaked it, the compounds from oak may be a factor.

As ArcaneXor points out, the biggest cause for Meadaches is probably fusel alcohols from suboptimal fermentation.

I don't have my notes in front of me but....I think I fermented in the high 60's. I only used nutrients when I pitched the yeast(D47). Literally 6oz. will give me a wicked, headache. I always thought fusel alcohols would give it a "hotness" taste/aroma. I forgot the dosage rate I used for the Campden tabs for the fruit.

My wife is allergic to sulfa. Whenever she has wine with high levels of sulfites, she has a bad headache the next morning, even if only 1 glass. Could be similar

I ferment my meads at low temperature for the yeast, don't treat them, and I still get headaches if I over indulge. For me I think it is the sugar rush, with the higher ABV, and I don't drink enough water to hydrate. = Typical dehydration hangover.
Maybe it's just me.

I don't have my notes in front of me but....I think I fermented in the high 60's. I only used nutrients when I pitched the yeast(D47). Literally 6oz. will give me a wicked, headache. I always thought fusel alcohols would give it a "hotness" taste/aroma. I forgot the dosage rate I used for the Campden tabs for the fruit.
Many posts by Medsen Fey allude to D47 being a bugger for making fusels, especially at higher temperatures.....

Perhaps then mix is one that is telling you to drink it by the glass only......

Myself, I prefer K1V-1116, because it's got a wide temperature range - but as far as I'm aware, it's not known for producing fusels. Higher alcohol levels that give the "alcohol hot" taste but that usually ages out nicely.......

Back