Fruit Beer Something Borrowed, Something Blueberry ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xalwine

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast - Witbread
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
us-05 yeast slurry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
14 (red)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Fridge 1 month waiting for keg
Tasting Notes
Strong blueberry flavor, Hint of earthiness after swallowing.
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt
7 lbs, 0 oz
Weyermann Vienna
2 lbs, 0 oz
Briess White Wheat
0 lbs, 4 oz
Gambrinus Honey Malt
0 lbs, 4 oz
Crisp Crystal Malt 15L
0 lbs, 4 oz
Northern Brewer Pellets
1 oz @ 30 mins
Fuggles Pellets, UK
1 oz @ 1 mins
Blueberry Flavoring
2 oz (at kegging)
Wyeast Labs Whitbread Ale
1 ea

Mash @ 153°F for 60 minutes.
2 gallons of mashout @212°F.
Sparge water @ 170°F

actual OG was 1.053
FG before blueberries 1.014
FG post blueberries 1.014

6# of frozen blueberries in secondary, and repitch with s-05 slurry from a prior batch. Let this secondary ferment cool to pull some of the peachy esters from the s-05.

As opposed to many commercial beers, the blueberry flavor is up front and lingers, a noticeable sweetness lingers as the base earthy flavor cleans up the palette.

This was made for my sisters wedding, I only had 2 weeks in the keg so there was a little bit of carb bite. but not noticeable unless you knew what you were looking for.

I also let it sit in a bright tank for 4 weeks. I didn't have a keg to rack it into. So once I picked up some from keggle brewing and Craig's list, I cleans those and racked into that.

Nice!! My SWMBO has been asking for something like this. Thank you very much!

Hey i really like the recipe and plan on doing my first all grain batch an would like to do this one i had a few questions about some stuff i didn't understand due to my lack of knowledge.

The blueberry flavoring is that a liquid extract you can but from a brew store or is it just blueberries.

Also I didn't understand the part about the 6# of frozen blueberries and re pitch the s-05 what does that mean. And sorry I'd this is a stupid question I'm still very new to brewing

the blueberry flavoring is an extract from my LHBS. i added 6#(pounds) of frozen blueberries in secondary. after it warmed up, I added s-05 yeast. adds a different flavor when fermented cooler. any other questions just ask!

What was the final color on this recipe? My grandma recently passed and I want to brew a blueberry something for her because she loved fruity wheat beers and her favorite color was purple. Sounds kinda odd, I know, but I just want to do it.

Back