Beer Vacation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So far I have pigeon holed myself to Chimay (nice getting them at $4 a sixer) because they are cheap here, and French beer, I can do without...

Yesterday I had an "Edelweiss White" Austrian wheat beer, was actually pretty good with a lemon wedge.

My Aunt in Germany told me she has a few different brands at the house for me and tried to make sure she only bought brands that aren't exported to the states.. I'm looking forward to next week :rockin:

budbo said:
So far I have pigeon holed myself to Chimay (nice getting them at $4 a sixer) because they are cheap here, and French beer, I can do without...

Yesterday I had an "Edelweiss White" Austrian wheat beer, was actually pretty good with a lemon wedge.

My Aunt in Germany told me she has a few different brands at the house for me and tried to make sure she only bought brands that aren't exported to the states.. I'm looking forward to next week :rockin:

Where's the Chimay at $4 a sixer exactly?

Edited to say: Nevermind, I just realized that it sounds like you are overseas.

jerly said:
Where's the Chimay at $4 a sixer exactly?

Edited to say: Nevermind, I just realized that it sounds like you are overseas.

Paris; I got 2 sixers of Chimay 1X "peres Trappistes" and 1X "Triple" 3.40euro each at tax free shop
The Heinekin here in cans is $$!

Tomorrw we head to Germany Let the Beer fest begin!

Not sure if it was leffe, but had a brown last night with dinner (it was ordered as "a brown draft" so I'm assuming local beer was pretty good...

I have now become addicted to Chimay and will be in dire need of a Chimay Blue clone recipie.

If you like Chimay, try a Duvel. It's not a trappist ale like Chimay, but OMG is it good. Has that nice Belgian fruity yeast funkiness.

Okie First day in Munich:
Had a Frankheisen Wheat at the train station with a Brat for lunch on arrival.. Nice weat beer kinda bland compared to the other German wheat beers I have tasted (it doesn't have that distinct wiessbeer flavor)

Went to a Brew Pub for dinner called Unions brau Haidhausen. Nice place, they have a restaraunt, Beer Garden out back and Beer Hall in the Basement. Really got into the ambiance German chick with large boobs in the costume carrying 6 half liters in each hand. The place is edged in dried hops... Like an Italian place with the grape vines framing it, this place has Hops on the walls and hanging from the ceiling. Outside in the Beer Garden they have hops growing around the edges.

They Brew three Wheat beers:
The Hell (light) was good nice hop balance with the wheat flavor pronounced.

The Dunkel (Dark) was Killer! the hops had the advantage on this one, hoppy but not bitter and still rather light body for a dark.

The honey wheat was different, it tasted like sweet wheat with just a hint that it was honey doing the sweetning. I really liked it it was an outstanding hot weather outside beer, Very light, low ABV, and had a sweet clean after taste.
My wife said it tasted like "Beer juice." This one would be perfect for a hot day grilling in the back yard, too bad they don't bottle it for sale. They brew for use in their place, and judging by the size of the Monday night crowd I'd say they are doing real well.

If you get to Munich, This is a must stop at at least for a brew or 3, I drank 1.5 liters and only got slight buzz..... definately a good hot weather brew, and the food was really good too.

Tomorrow we hit the "Hofbrauhaus" It is famous for being the Oldest secular brewery still in operation (1589), as well as infamous for being the site where Hitler Formed the NAZI Party on 20 feb 1920.

Back