Alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
If I let a glass of beer warm to room temp, and the use the hydrometer will it tell me what % the beer is? I had someone ask me after I gave them a bottle.

The alcohol scale on a hydrometer is for "potential alcohol" and does not equal the actual alcohol level in a beer.

To calculate the alcohol by volume of a beer is an equation using the Original Gravity and Final Gravity. I do not know what the equation is, I just plug the numbers into an online calculator.

Without the OG or sophisticated lab equipment you can not tell.

Here's the Cooper's formula I use; (OG-FG)/7.46 +.5= ABV%. If you kept notes,you can quickly figure it out with the windows calculator.

Not tryin to stir things up again from last year,but the beer/kummel/buttershots demands it. :drunk: I noticed some 8 different formulas that all give different results. I guess a brewer should use the one his buzzed nurons say is right...:tank:

If I let a glass of beer warm to room temp, and the use the hydrometer will it tell me what % the beer is? I had someone ask me after I gave them a bottle.

So the best you could do would be to assume a middle of the road attenuation like maybe 72% and use that to estimate what the OG and therefore the alcohol was. But that would be a very rough estimate. Better than a total guess, but still could be well off.

For instance, a beer that finished at 1.012, if you assume 72% attenuation, OG would be 1.043, for an ABV of 4. But if the attenuation was really 65%, then OG is 1.034 and ABV is 2.9. On the other hand, if the attenuation was 80%, then OG was 1.060 and ABV was 6.3%.

Now, get yourself a liquid cromatograph or something like that and you'll be in business. ;)

Revvy's is the formula I have always seen.

The Coopers formula makes everything 5% or more. Take 1.000 water, ferment and it is still 1.000 water. Divide by 7 and it is still zero. Then add .5. That doesn't make any sense.

Revvy's is the formula I have always seen.

The Coopers formula makes everything 5% or more. Take 1.000 water, ferment and it is still 1.000 water. Divide by 7 and it is still zero. Then add .5. That doesn't make any sense.

Well, really it makes it 0.5% or more. I agree the result you get from water makes no sense, but not quite as badly as you have indicated. :D

Not in my experience. I've used their formula & got 4.5% as well.

I think you may have typed it wrong or something. Try it with 1.050 OG and 1.010 FG (fairly common readings). That works out to about 5.2% with Revvy's formula but .5067 with Coopers. What is that supposed to mean?

I think you may have typed it wrong or something. Try it with 1.050 OG and 1.010 FG (fairly common readings). That works out to about 5.2% with Revvy's formula but .5067 with Coopers. What is that supposed to mean?

I think with the Coopers version you would use just the last 3 digits, without the decimal. i.e. your example would be 50-10 instead of .050-.010.

The coopers one adds 0.5% to account for the priming sugar addition, it's just a rough estimate.

The one that I posted is the one most commonly cited, and used. Whether it's the most accurate or right, almost is irrelevant. Because it's the formula most accepted (and listed by folks like Palmer and Papazian.) Therefore if you are brewing a recipe in a book or on a website, more than likely it was the formula the creator used to determine the abv for his recipe.

Latest posts

Back