Overcarbonation kicking up sediment in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a juniper rye that I've had in bottles for a couple of months. The beer got a bit overcarbonated, which is not necessarily a problem in and of itself because the high carbonation really carries the juniper aroma and makes the whole thing pretty delicious.

The problem is that when I open the bottles, the spreading foam kicks up all the sediment in the bottle and gets it into suspension. When poured, the beer inevitably has little particles of yeast floating in it that won't ever drop out (at least, not in the time it takes me to drink 12 oz of beer, LOL). I don't mind it, but I'm having some friends over and would like to share this brew ... and I'm not sure if everyone will appreciate the rustic quality of my "beer that eats like a meal".

I've been brewing long enough now that I've mastered the art of pouring all but the last 1/4" of sediment from the bottle, but for this beer, the sediment starts flowing way before that. I've tried a sieve and that only serves to break the yeast into smaller particles. I've considered coffee filters, but don't have any at the house to try it with.

Anyone have any tricks for pouring beer with a lot of yeast in suspension?

no. But if you were to crack open a bunch of your bottles, recap them, and return to the chiller... I bet the yeast will drop back to the bottom and remain undisturbed the next time you open them without loosing too much carbonation.

Yeah, can you maybe crack them a tiny bit and recrimp the cap for drinking later that same day?

manoaction said:
I would assume that if it was an infection, he'd be able to taste it. No? Thoughts?

Doesn't sound like an infection to me really. And regardless if it taste good and he's proud of it who gives a crap. :). I would just tell the visitors that the closeted are hop and flavor additives! They won't know any better! ;)

mrduna01 said:
Doesn't sound like an infection to me really. And regardless if it taste good and he's proud of it who gives a crap. :). I would just tell the visitors that the closeted are hop and flavor additives! They won't know any better! ;)

So apparently auto correct thinks that "floaties" should be "closeted"! Haha

In the case that I had, the bottle-gushing and chunks kicked up from the excessive layer of trub in the bottom of the bottles were the obvious signs. The beer may-or-may-not have tasted a little lactic-y, but it was a cascade IPA that could mask a good deal of sourness, so I'd say whether you can taste it or not depends on the beer.

But I agree with mrduna01, if you otherwise like the beer, who cares? In my case, I chose to dump it (kinda broke my heart :( ), but that was just me. One issue is, though, that if it is an infection, it will only get more severe with time. Maybe keeping all remaining bottles in the fridge will at least halt it where it is?

Thanks, all. I may try opening and recapping a couple before the weekend. The possibility of infection crossed my mind too, but as long as it tastes good I'll keep drinking it. Putting them all in the fridge is probably a good idea anyway, in case carbonation continues to build.
mrduna01 said:
So apparently auto correct thinks that "floaties" should be "closeted"! Haha
That's just about the greatest auto correct I've ever read. LOL!

Back