Dry-Hemping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
c.n.budz said:
+1

drink the beer, smoke the weed. That's how nature intended it:D

if i lived anywhere other than here it is a silly waste of the resource. it's seriously going in the garbage if i don't use it to cook/experiment with. I wouldn't want to smoke this stuff...kind of like comparing homebrew to coors light :rockin:

explosivebeer said:
Out of curiosity, if one were to use some really cheap, low-quality weed that smells like hay, how much of the flavor would transfer to the final product after soaking it in a high-alcohol solution for a week? Is the beer going to have a hay-like aroma? Or does that mostly go away?

Personally i think it goes away.
we used 1/2 oz of (roughly) 3 month old, very dry and powdery shake. as we racked to the secondary all i could smell was hay...like musty wet grass. I thought for sure we ruined a batch. i don't taste anything close to hay in the final product. I'm planning on trying the everclear method next but i will definitly keep refining the dry-hemping method as well as i am so happy with the flavour i want to have it around on a regular basis.

malkore said:
I've extracted the 'goodness' before. You need grain alcohol. Beer contains nowhere near enough alcohol to extract THC.

I know people that throw a few nice sized buds in a vodka bottle, after a few days it will start to change color.
A close friend of mine loves my stout and wanted me to throw in some of the good stuff in addition of the hops during the boil. I told him I thought it would work but I don't know?? I'm looking for a good job!

Ok I have this great connection in DC for beer. I was talking to him and he knows of 1 state side brewery that makes Hemp Ale. The company is Humboldt Brewing. He also knows a few in Canada that also make hemp beers. So Humboldt Brewing, check them out, see if you can't track down the secert. Let me know how it goes, I've been thinking of doing the same thing myself.

sipNswirl said:
From what I understand you would soak the material in grain alcohol for a few days (maybe a week), then dump into the bottling bucket/keg at that time. This is what I'm going to try next. I just had a delivery of grain alcohol from Alberta (haha, can't buy it in BC) so I'd like to see how that works. Ideally I would like to extract the THC so this sounds like the best method.
I tried the dry-hemped beer after 1 week in the bottles to see how the flavours are coming through and I'm really impressed. At first I thought the shake was going to overpower the rest of the flavours, but it has really balanced out and allowed the bittering hops and malt flavours to come through. There is a slight fruity/sweet flavour on the back of my tongue from the shake that almost tastes a bit like bubble-gum. I think if I were to dry-hemp again I would use 1oz because I think I may lose most of the flavour as time goes on.

That would have been my method as well. Treat it like priming sugar and add to the bottling bucket right at bottling time (after soaking in ethanol of course). Probably want to add it in with the last couple bottles (as it might be too dilute in the whole 5 gallons or whatever volume you were using, and also reduces the risk of spoiling the whole batch if it makes it bad). The oil extract would be the best without affected flavor of the beer, but for those that don't mind a little extra ethanol in their beer, it would seem to be a very quick and easy way to get it into your beer. Only possible problem I would see is if it would settle out at the bottom of the bottle. Some experimentation would need to be done; ie pour a couple bottles the traditional way (leaving the last 1/4-1/2" in the bottle). Drink the poured beer and wait for an effect. If none (or heck even if you get one) get someone willing to drink the last 1/4-1/2" from each bottle and see if they get an effect.

Make it a double-blind study and publish the results.....step #3...profit! :fro:

wow, what an interesting post. time for me to dig in!!!

your forgetting one type that will help in your goal, how about just using straight keef, put it in at the start of fermintation. thats what i'd do.

there is a place in maryland that also makes hempen ale but they only use industrial grade hemp seeds for this, industrial hemp doesn't have the THC content that the other stuff does. by law they can't use any thing else and still sell it in the US.

you might even want to try making hash and then put that in the boil. if i were gonna do a brew like that, i'd use the keef or hash method

but thats just what i'd do. your beer, your smoke, you choose lol

:D Just throw the shake away and put a few buds on your corn flakes, then wash them down with a nice breakfast stout.:mug: :rockin: :tank:

mj strains have their own distinc smell just like hops . i would like to try the dry hemping method but i was also thinking at time of bottling to pour in a good amount of hash oil. the purest hash oil smells soo good i wouldnt mind that to end up in my brew. make some indica ipa

i cant find that book. online its too expensive i guess i'lll have to write my own

Is it just me or does farmer Bob remind me of Brando's character from Apocalypse Now:)

brain death history

recipe for it

special hops obviously reffers to ganja

take a look because im seriously considering this route. barley wine gets up to pretty high alcohol limits and if i use wlp099 super high alcohol yeast it could be interesting

Wow, your idea really gave me a spark...he he, no pun intended.

First, you need a micro sized screen, 120 micron is perfect. You can get a nice sized piece from a T-shirt silk screening shop. get a large mouthed MASON jar with a 2 peice lid and put all your DRIED shake into it, put silk screen over jar and only the screw portion of lid on to make a quick filter, now take this and gently shake it over a mirror, glass table, or ??? anything that you can scrape with a plastic edge - credit card comes to mind, after about 5-10 minutes of this gentle shaking you will have enough "powder" resin glands to easily add to your secondary or a little to each bottle and taste when ready... I think I may try this soon.

Be careful using this "powder" in regular smoke, it will put you down.

To answer the original poster, I've never heard of this. Yes, everyone's right the alcohol is way too low to extract the active ingredient in pot...which is a good thing. But, correct me if I'm wrong; the whole point of dry hopping is not to bitter the beer, but rather to odor it. So, if you like the smell...

Probably be about the same price as hops these days...

First post, and on such a fun thread.

Considering THC is fat soluble, would it be possible to add an emulsifier to disperse the oil into the mostly water(beer) solution? Hey, it's what they do with all those crappy Italian Dressings at the grocery store.

(pictures image of beer looking like crappy italian dressing and shivers)

Hey, you're being adventurous for wanting to make the beer... Why not be adventurous in it's consumption. Just imagine the look on your friends faces when you pour that concoction out into some pint (or shot) glasses and tell them "It will f*** you up!"

HA! :drunk: :fro:

Salvinorum A is alcohol soluable and for the time being, Salvia is legal in most states.

I'm considering going a salvia infused batch of bitter.

I googled, I might be the first, which would be neat. :)

Ok, I think really the only way you can go about doing this in all seriousness is to make a strong tincture with everclear, a really strong one, then add said tincture in at either bottling or in secondary, that's really the only way the THC could properly be introduced into the beer, if you're going for smell, yeah, dry-hop with it.

As for the salvia, in order to activate the Salvinorum I thought you had to heat it to a very high (burning) temp, I don't know if a soak in alcohol would do much...unless you somehow heated it (microwave perhaps, like with MJ in preparing) before you tried to extract the active ingredient.

Freezeblade said:
As for the salvia, in order to activate the Salvinorum I thought you had to heat it to a very high (burning) temp

They suggest torch lighters when smoking it because the Salv. A has a higher vaporization point and it makes the leaf more potents. You don't really need to "activate" the chemical though.

Freezeblade said:
I don't know if a soak in alcohol would do much

One of the most beautiful thing about seeing legal salvia is that is opened my eyes to just how many products and services will be offered for cannabis when it's legalized. As to the "alchohol soak" it would indeed extract the salv. A. In fact, because it's legal, they sell Salvia tincture which is exactly that, salvia soaked in alchohol to extract the salv. A and then evaporated to the proper dose. There's instructions online on how to extract it, but for consistancy I'd probably purchase a tincture of a good brand. Of course, that wouldn't quite be "dry hemping" but hey... :)

I click on the last page and weve come to basically how to make hash. Well done boys well done.

Has anyone tried this yet, or come up with a good recipe?
ive read through all the threads based on this subject for a few hours and have not come up with one decent recipe or procedure.
I have a friend who is a pot head who was willing to donate 1 oz of such hops for a case of the results.

So please anyone with a decent extract recipe please post:
Thanks

Primary: xtra bitter wheat
Secondary: Newcastle clone
Bottled: Belgum Blonde, Said Head Red, Victory IPA

DOOD, you wanna make beer with pot! :rockin:

MBeer.jpg

Marijuana In Beer

(I'm not helping you...I'm only showing you that you are NOT the first that has ever considered this...so don't go thinking you are all original and sh@t. :D)

Oh and it's called "Dry Hemping" around here....if you use search you'll find plenty of info and trash talking about it (like now.)

So you might as well stock up on fritos already.

*looks at calender.*....oh yeah, college is back in session. Countdown to pruno threads in 5...4...3...2........:rolleyes:

Last time I mixed beer and weed (over 20 years ago) I puked on some of the "Funk Brothers" (the former Motown Session Musicians who are also some of the top Jazz guys in Detroit.) It was also the last time I smoked any either....

Took me quite awhile to live THAT one down.....

This topic has been discussed extensively enough. Regardless of any opinions about legalization and use, it's still illegal in most states and countries, including the one where HBT is hosted. As a rule, we don't discuss the concentration and extraction of alcohol, so we REALLY don't need to discuss the concentration and extraction of more illicit substances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back