Question on milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdMerican

Reaction score
I have what I believe to be a really solid oatmeal stout recipe. Everyone who has tried it has liked it a lot. Would it then be feasible to just add lactose and POOF! it will be a solid milk stout? Or do adjustments generally have to be made? Recipe is as follows

7.5 lbs Pale malt
1 lb Flaked Oats
12 oz Chocolate Malt
12 oz Crystal 60
10 oz Roasted Barley

.5 oz CTZ at 60 min
.25 oz US Perle at 30 min

Mash 156 for an hour 1.25qts/lb, batch sparge twice(cause that's how I do it). S-04 to finish it off.

BTW i get about 80-85% efficiency. Starts around 1.055 and finishes around 1.010~1.014

Thanks in advance for input!

That's quite close to my Oatmeal Milk Stout recipe. I have done enough batches to dial in my lactose quantity -so I ass at the end of the boil. You can also just add as you're going to keg or bottle. If you make a lactose syrup you can flavor to taste and you're good to go.

What's the difference between adding the Lactose at the end of the boil or at 60 minutes?

cooper said:
What's the difference between adding the Lactose at the end of the boil or at 60 minutes?

I'm curious about this myself. I was planning on adding it late anyway, just as habit. Perhaps to prevent underutilization of hops like in a partial boil extract batch?

EdMerican said:
I'm curious about this myself. I was planning on adding it late anyway, just as habit. Perhaps to prevent underutilization of hops like in a partial boil extract batch?

That would be my assumption.

I don't really notice a difference. As far as I know it doesn't change during the boil - possibly some caramelization I guess. There's no reason to put it in at 60 but I don't know that there's any down side. I've done 60, 10 and at bottling. It's hard to really compare since the 10 was just a vastly better recipe but the lactose flavor was pretty equivalent in all three.

Back