Should I seperate Brett equip. from sour equip?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugrad02

Reaction score
I have recently started to dabble in 100% Brett beers using mostly stepped up Brett B Trois. (Great stuff!)

Would it be okay to use the same siphon and hose that I've used for sour beers on my 100% Brett beers?

The equipment I use for sours has had a lot of Bug County through it. My concern would be getting lacto or pedio in my Brett beers. What would be the likelihood given a good sanitation practice of PBW and starsan?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use my plastics (bottling bucket/siphon/tubing/etc) interchangeably for Brett beers or beers with Lacto and Pedio and have never had any issues. Obviously I clean/sanitize them well and replace tubing every 4-6 months, if youre doing that then I wouldnt worry about it.

I have 3 sets of bottling equipment. One for Sach, one for Brett, and one for sours. While people can argue they have a good enough cleaning regiment, which they very well could have, I dont see it being a big deal to play it safe. In reality this is the cheap side of brewing anyways. For not that much I can buy a bottling bucket, siphon, and tubing (<$30?). My annoyance is purely on the storing of all three rather then the purchase. But in the end would rather spend a couple dollars so I dont have to worry about it, and not run the chance of turning one of my brett only batches sour.

I finally tempted fate too long. After about 20 batches using the same equipment for Brett and Sacch beers, I finally have an unplanned keg of hoppy wheat with Brett. It's tasty and will be drank; just not as intended. I know the foul occurred with the keg or lines though, because it was a 10 gallon batch and the other keg was perfect.

So good sanitation practices definitely help, but they are no guarantee.

I share hoses between brett and sours, with a set just for sacc.

I do have 1 HPDE fermenter I share between brett and sacc, but not sours.

I don't mix anything between sours and sacc.

As noted earlier, it is a lot of equipment to store and keep track of. I would like to do without a third set.

Latest posts

Back