What shall I do to clean and sanitize my manifold for the 1st time before using it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
How shall I clean the manifold after assembling it for the first time? Do I need sandpaper to clean it on the outside and inside? And then boil it in water or something?

I'm using a stainless braid in my mash tun, just soaked it in one step for a few minutes then rinsed well before I installed it. Was not too worried about sanitizing as the wort gets boiled after that point.

Just say this prayer over it and sprinkle some 2-row mixed with holy water in it as you do:

"Oh Great Mashna, patron saint of mash tuns,
Please bless my new mash tun setup,
May it hold temp for as long as I wish,
And give me high and stable efficiencies,
And never get stuck, no matter what grain bill I may add to it."

No need to sanitize, wort gets boiled after the mash killing any nasties.

Ive never sanitized my manifold, valve or MT...cleaning is another story!!

Just say this prayer over it and sprinkle some 2-row mixed with holy water in it as you do:

"Oh Great Mashna, patron saint of mash tuns,
Please bless my new mash tun setup,
May it hold temp for as long as I wish,
And give me high and stable efficiencies,
And never get stuck, no matter what grain bill I may add to it."

I'll say this prayer in honor of your wisdom. :) Thanks. :)

when i built my manafold i just rinsed it real quick with hot water and a quick spraw with some starsan solution I have in a spray bottle. There wasnt a need to sanitize it as the wort gets boiled afterwards anyway but my spray bottle was there so I figured why not.

Back