Do I need to replace lines for Kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threetall

Reaction score
So I just got 2 corny kegs and 5 lb co2 tank from a friend and a couple of lines. 1 is a line for what looks to be for co2, the other line is for transfer between kegs. The lines have been sitting around for I don't know how many years in the person's basement and are some kind of braided material. Do I need to replace the lines, or can I give them a good cleaning? Also the clamps on the braids are a bit rusty.

I have some hoses that have been in use for 10 years. I have a six foot piece of 4" PVC with a cap cemented to one end and stood up with the cap end down. I filled it up with PBW and soak the hoses in it, Blow off tubes, siphon hose, beer lines,,,, secure the lines with clothespins or alligator clips works well cleans out the scum and leaves them springtime fresh

While lots of lines will last several years (I've known one bar who hasn't changed for 4-5 years) I found I can replace all the lines in my kegorator for 10-20 bucks. 10 bucks for new lines every year is nothing compared to the price of the beer I put through it. Just a thought.

Line is cheap. While someone like certaut above has had some lines that have lasted a very long time, it sounds like he also takes great care of those lines to ensure they remain clean. Can you be sure your friend was as diligent?

If not, I say replace it.

Lines don't last forever - especially other people's lines. I would recommend replacing them so that you know that they are new. Get 3/16" ID x 7/16" OD beer line (line that is actually made for beverages). Once you know the line is new, it will last for a long long time. My current lines are about 7 years old. What is working in your favor is that the lines are always refrigerated which really cuts down the growth of anything funky. About 3 or 4 times a year, I fill the lines with PBW solution and let them soak overnight, then purge them with water. Once lines warm up to room temp and sit around for months and months, all bets are off. Replace the lines and buy some extra and have that hanging around just in case.

Thanks.
It also looks like the plugs on one of the kegs have rust on them too. How do I clean those?

Line is cheap. While someone like certaut above has had some lines that have lasted a very long time, it sounds like he also takes great care of those lines to ensure they remain clean. Can you be sure your friend was as diligent?

If not, I say replace it.

+1. It's too inexpensive to take the risk of not replacing.

Back