Shorter secondary with smaller batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
I made a 2.25 gallon DIPA, and after two weeks and a steady FG, I tranferred to 2 one gallon jugs so I can dry hop with two different types of hops. Because it's a smaller batch, can I bottle after only a week in secondary, or would an additional week continue to help to condition the beer? I'm usually pretty patient, but this is my first recipe and I'm antsy to try it.

The secondary in this case is just to get the dry-hopping flavors in the beer. I would put it in the bottles, and then wait for it to be ready. Dry-hopping generally only lasts for a week or so, so I wouldn't do another week.

A DIPA may take a while in the bottle before it is ready. I'm not recommending another week in secondary; I am recommending more time than you probably think is reasonable in the bottle before drinking. Try one a week to see how it develops if you must, but don't do any more or serve it to anyone before at least 4 weeks have passed in the bottle. This will be hard, but it is necessary if you don't want others to get a very bad impression of your brewing. Or a lot of kind, insincere comments. Beer takes time to be good.

Oh, and keep test bottles in the fridge at least 2 days before sampling. You'll get a gusher, followed by a flat beer, otherwise. At least if it's carbonating properly. I've had a lot of people comment about my 'carbonation problems' before I realized this. CO2 takes time in the cold to dissolve in beer.

Back