Bottling in beer bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurieGator

Reaction score
I am planning on bottling some of my meads in beer bottles. How long can I keep the mead in there with Oxygen Barrier caps?

TIA!

Potentially for decades. Seriously.
Oxygen scavaging or not, crown caps may last for a long time. They are used on Champagne bottles while they go through their secondary fermentation. Some are aged that way for decades before they are disgorged and corked. Crown caps seem to be up for the task. Some will advise to put a wax seal over the cap, and I suppose that won't hurt either, but it may not be necessary.

Medsen

I've kept mead/melomel in beer bottles with ordinary crown caps for as long as 4 years with no problems. Regards, GF.

As long as you want really. Crown caps if sealed properly and not stored so they rust out will last longer than you will be able to wait to drink what's inside. They can be stored upright instead of on their sides like a corked bottle would need to be stored to keep the cork wet. The only difference I can possibly see is that arguably corked bottles 'breathe' and the crown caps wouldn't so there could possibly be a variance in taste. Doubtful but still possible. Anyone ever cared to test the difference in packaging?

-cheers

The only difference I can possibly see is that arguably corked bottles 'breathe' and the crown caps wouldn't so there could possibly be a variance in taste. Doubtful but still possible.

Actually not doubtful at all. Definite.
The AWRI closure trials have demonstrated the difference in wine between airtight closures (Stelvin ROTE) and natural and synthetic cork (synthetic allow the most oxygen in). The Stelvin is superior for long aging (in white wines at least).

See this thread (2nd page) for some info on a comparison I am running.

thanks for posting that thread, great experiment.

is the experiment just with a fruit mead or is there a unflavored mead in the mix for a control?

-cheers

This comparison is just with the melomel. There was no traditional mead made. I have found that oxidation tends to be more of an issue with melomels. Traditional meads might not have nearly as much difference due to closure, and that certainly does need to be tested. I have a meadowfoam traditional that I may have to try that on.

yes please bottle, after BULK AGING IMHO I swear by bulk aging and bottling only when a free 5 gal ( or appropriate size secondary ) is necessary to vacate for a greater purpose... and yes despite the recycling plants need for green ( aluminum product) or brown ( iron product's) need for glass, none of it will affect the aging process.

Back