Lalvin EC1118 Champagne Yeast for Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows how using the above yeast would effect the flavor of a batch of beer. I've seen this yeast recomended for high OG beers due to it's high alchohol tolerance, but I've seen no info on it's effect on flavor.

I'm really limted on yeast selection here since the homebrew supply shops are all ubrews and don't have much in the way of choice for yeast etc. Can't even find any laqer yeasts (so far anyway) around here. Might have to mail order or pick some up next time I'm in Vancouver.

I used some coopers ale yeast then added the lalvin EC1118 Champagne yeast on day 2.
OG was 1.091
Day 6 SG was 1.015

Thanks,
Denny
Kelowna, BC.

All champagne yeast are neutral. Since they are developed for fermenting white wines, it has to be. I've used various brands (including Lavin) and if there is any difference in flavors, it's way below my detection level. Sounds like it did a good job, 1.015 for a FG in a heavy ale is very fine.

I had a buddy do a barley wine with standard yeast(don't know the strain). Then he bulk aged it for like 3 months until everything settled out. Then he pitched a healthy starter of EC-1118 to finish it out. It finished around 15%. After a year in the bottle it is still hot.

1118 will eat up any and every last molecule of glucose until it dies of intoxication at 18%. As said before it is a very clean yeast and selected for its good sedimentation.

Have a look here:
EC-1118

One of my favorite brewing exploits was from about 2000 when I made a ~10% RIS using champagne yeast only, and backsweetened with lactose. 6 months in the bottle and it was heaven - I still dream about it. Alas, I lost the recipe in the intervening period.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I have found a very great thing about EC1118, that doesn't seem to be mentioned yet... SMaSH! If you really want to taste the malts and hops on their own, use this, or another neutral champagne yeast.

Are you guys not having problems fermenting longer chain sugars with it? Also odd how this thread has 2500 views and less than 10 replies.

I am planning to do a batch of EdWort´s Apfelwein but I have a hard time to find the Montrachet yeast, what do you think about using the EC1118 instead?

I used it on my second batch, and it seemed just fine for me. Apfelwein is so dry, that I think any dry champagne/white wine yeast will work well.

Well, I have a 6 gal. brew going right now...eleven days in... started with 1100 with a two day yeast starter of wlp001 and tossed in wlp099... I know..a lot of yeast. I am concidering EC1118 if its not down near 1000. Still bubbling once a minute....i hate to open and check with the hydrometer. This is a russian imperial...

I used EC 1118 to carbonate a batch of Imperial IPA with an abv of about 10.5%
It carbonated it with no problems. I did not notice any flavor impacts.

I have also used it on a stuck barleywine fermentation. This one is still in the secondary so I won't be able to update you on this until later this year.

Curious...if I do put in the EC1118, should I do a starter with it? Should I take it out of the primary fermentor with the current yeast pancake at the bottom and add the champagne yeast after it's in a fresh fermentor? One or two packets of yeast? Any suggestions?

I just took a reading on my beer and it stopped at 1028 down from 1100. So, I am going to do the champagne yeast ec1118... do I just add it to the primary where everything is now, or move it out, get it off the current pancake, put it back in the primary and add the champagne yeast?

I just took a reading on my beer and it stopped at 1028 down from 1100. So, I am going to do the champagne yeast ec1118... do I just add it to the primary where everything is now, or move it out, get it off the current pancake, put it back in the primary and add the champagne yeast?

with that high of an og i am amazed you dropped it that low what yeast did you use? how long has it been in primary?

i would just pitch it right on top of the current cake and be prepared for a long ferment. EC1118 will chew thru it but it takes a while

Well, I have a 6 gal. brew going right now...eleven days in... started with 1100 with a two day yeast starter of wlp001 and tossed in wlp099...I know..a lot of yeast. 15lbs of LME. I know..a lot of yeast. I am concidering EC1118 if its not down near 1000. This is a russian imperial...sort of... its been in the primary for two and a half weeks.

Well, I have a 6 gal. brew going right now...eleven days in... started with 1100 with a two day yeast starter of wlp001 and tossed in wlp099...I know..a lot of yeast. 15lbs of LME. I know..a lot of yeast. I am concidering EC1118 if its not down near 1000. This is a russian imperial...sort of... its been in the primary for two and a half weeks.

1.000 is really not attainable in my exp.
why do you want it so low? that seems like it would be a really low body beer and very dry

It's very heavy... a lot of grains were sparged, two and a half pounds, plus the coffee and chocolate... i just tasted it and it has a good flavor for this stage.

I just added one packet of the ec1118. cross your fingers. I will post back regularly to update. I hope i don't blow this batch... it is an experiment.. granted. but still, you really want a great brew when it's all said and done

It's very heavy... a lot of grains were sparged, two and a half pounds, plus the coffee and chocolate... i just tasted it and it has a good flavor for this stage.

I just added one packet of the ec1118. cross your fingers. I will post back regularly to update. I hope i don't blow this batch... it is an experiment.. granted. but still, you really want a great brew when it's all said and done

agreed bigger beers are just that though big definitely update how this goes

I just got back from Brooklyn homebrew. I went in asking about a 12.2% Barley Wine that's in secondary right now. I was concerned that my Nottingham might not be up to the task of carbonating after sitting in such a high ABV for 3-4 weeks. I was looking into either Scotish Ale yeast (alcohol tolerance 12%), or a champagne yeast. They ended up selling me two packs of dry Lalvin EC-1118 (alcohol tolerance 18%). But it came with a warning:

"Make sure you're really done fermenting, becuase this stuff will soak up every last bit of sugar and could lead to bottle bombs."

My Barleywine started off at 1.119, and had a predicted FG of 1.030 per Beersmith. At two weeks (today) it's at 1.025. There's been no airlock activity for almost a week. Do you guys think I'm done? Should I still prime with my normal 2/3 cup dextrose? Should I pitch one of my packets of 1118 now, or wait for bottling day and pitch them both?

With such high SG-FG gravity and using a yeast that has sky high attenuation, I would try to rouse it a bit, check for a few days (or even better, weeks) if FG is still at the same level and then bottle if it hasn't moved. Some yeasts work very slowly and even slower when you get in the 8+ ABV realm: the only batch of bottle bombs I've ever seen was just that. Three weeks fermentation, 1.080 to 1.022, deemed good enough to bottle. Only a few of them gave way, but I heard my friend caught a lot of flack from his girlfriend since they were away when it happened. All the crust/shrapnel was a sticky, smelly mess when he got to it.

If you just go by airlock activty, you can still have bottle bombs if there is still stuff to ferment and the yeast had only gone partially dormant. That or you'll get high carbonation wich is not really proper for a barleywine. Play it safe and maybe bulk age if you have the sapce/fermentors instead of bottling at three weeks.

Hi guys... this same beer I started..8-28-2010 the airlock still bubbling at 1minute 45 seconds. I just tood a gravity and it is down to 1016. With the 1118 champagne yeast, do you think it's done? I can see fine little bubbles rising up in the mix. It tastes fantastic. What can happen if I bottle it tonight? Am I making potential bottle bombs? It's in the secondary with a bit of yeast pancake stuff at the bottom.

Please advise?

Hi guys... this same beer I started..8-28-2010 the airlock still bubbling at 1minute 45 seconds. I just tood a gravity and it is down to 1016. With the 1118 champagne yeast, do you think it's done? I can see fine little bubbles rising up in the mix. It tastes fantastic. What can happen if I bottle it tonight? Am I making potential bottle bombs? It's in the secondary with a bit of yeast pancake stuff at the bottom.

Please advise?

What temp have you been fermenting at? I let my 1.119 barleywine bulk age for close to a month, but I pulled it off the nottingham yeast cake (it was HUGE) after two weeks. I pitched one extra packet just before bottling, and my FG leveled out just below 1.023. Two months sounds like a long time to me unless you've been at colder ferm. temps.

hey~ i never came back with a reply...sorry. the brew came out very very good. the chocolate and coffee came thru so amazing. it stopped at 1.016
this is honestly one of the best russian imperials i have ever had. it keeps getting better, too. so, yes... the champagne yeast does work great. and it isnt so dry is sucks your mouth together.. just a perfect drink.

Hello folks, Just trying to figure out how much priming sugar to use for five gallons of IPA i made using Champagne yeast! I want it carbonated like a beer not champagne. Trying to avoid Bombs! thanks for the help!

Bump. So how does this yeast work for beer? I'm concerned that it doesn't eat maltitriose, OTOH that might be good because it will eat every last molecule of simpler sugars, so at least there will be something left. Also, it's a "killer" yeast, but will it kill brett? I'm wondering about pitching it as the main yeast in a high-gravity beer, then adding Brett B to the secondary.

Bump. So how does this yeast work for beer? I'm concerned that it doesn't eat maltitriose, OTOH that might be good because it will eat every last molecule of simpler sugars, so at least there will be something left. Also, it's a "killer" yeast, but will it kill brett? I'm wondering about pitching it as the main yeast in a high-gravity beer, then adding Brett B to the secondary.

Brett isn’t susceptible to the killer enzyme produced by yeast..

Never used this yeast for primary but it might leave a lot of sugars for Brett to eat depending on the starting gravity. Might be a good thing, might not be.

Back