"Diable Blanche" Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbelly

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Diable Blanche, by (Mark Richmond), recipe in the Brewmaster's Bible?

Recipe:

Yeast: Wyeast 3944 Belgian White Beer yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.012
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7

Ingredients:

6# Belgian Pils malt
4# raw wheat flakes
0.5# oats
1 ounce Hallertau (60 minutes)
1 ounce Tettnang (20 minutes)
1 ounce Hellertau (10 minutes)
1 ounce Saaz (after boil/flame out)
1 ounce Crushed/cracked coriander seed (60 minutes)
1 ounce chamomile (30 minutes)
1 ounce sweet orange peel (10 minutes)
Wyeast 3944 Belgian White beer yeast
1 ounce crushed/cracked coriander seed (added in secondary)
0.5 ounce sweet orange peel (added in secondary)

1. crush mallt and perform 1-hour infusion mash at 152*F
2. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops as noted above
3. Cool, ptch yeast,, and ferment as normal.
4. Transfer to secondary after 1 week, add spices, and bottle after 1 more week.

I'd love to try this recipe. Although it has about everything i'd want to do in a witbier, I'd rather it be more bitter. Perhaps I'd change the sweet orange peel to bitter orange peel. Or maybe even do the boil and primary with bitter orange peel, then use the sweet orange peel at the secondary.

What do you guys think of the recipe?

When it comes to putting citrus fruit in beer, I'm very leery of the "bitter" parts. It doesn't take much citrus pith to ruin a beer. If you want more bitterness, I'd increase the IBUs before trying to add citrus bitterness.

most all witbier recipes use Bitter orange peel, not sweet. Also the bitter vs sweet is type of orange. They both have just the zest really. Sweet is from just any normal orange you'd buy at the grocery store. The latter is from Curacao orange

I used Sweet Orange Peel in my Summer Heat Honey Wheat... toss in 1oz Sweet O Peel, 1oz lightly crushed coriander, and 2g of GOP... don't serve under 40F though.... yuck. but around 50F... DELICIOUS.

Does anyone use the juice from oranges or other citrus fruit in beers? Obviously there are fruit beers but I've never heard of a lemon or lime beer, other than adding a wedge to a glass/bottle. I'm wondering what a blood orange beer would be like...

Back