Another "tried my first home brew" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewN00b

Reaction score
I did, and it tastes like....well nothing. There really wasn't much taste to speak of, except a slight metallic aftertaste, which I assume is because it is still somewhat green.

I did A True Brew Pale Ale Extract kit, which used;
1) Can of Muttons Hopped Light Malt Extract
2) 2 pounds Light Dried Malt Extract
3) 6oz crystal malt grains
4) 1oz hops

My OG was right on the final at 1.044, my FG was 1.010, both right on the money.

I aged in the Primary for a week, racked to a secondary for another week, than bottled for two more. I cracked one open as a test to check carbonation, at it had a light head, but excellent carbonation, a wonderful dark, golden color, and a pretty light smell. I did not smell off, although since I do not have a trained palate, I could be wrong.

I tasted it and, like I said, it hadn't much taste to speak of. It tasty like a crappy domestic, and a pretty lingering metallic aftertaste. Needless to say, my first home brew will linger a little bit more in the closet to hopefully age and develop an actual taste.

I consider this a learning experience, and overall a success, even if the final product isn't as good as I would like it to be.

It'll be better in a few weeks. More hops would't hurt next time. Dry hopping especially makes a world of difference.

Latest posts

Back