new to the brewing world

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duff571

Reaction score
I started off with some mead.... now once that is bottled im thinking of trying my hand at some cider. just a small gallon batch to try out... ill add sugars.. bring it up to the 7 or 8 % potential mark.... then any tips on time to ferment or what strain of yeast to use... dry wine yeast.. or sparkling ?
anything would be great...:mug:

started up a cider micro batch today....sugars at 1.050 should brew out at 6% .... raisins added for yeast nutrients

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130904_193016.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130904_193016.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 93
I thought about raisins. Then a friend suggested craisins. He said they have a higher sugar content.

But of course we won't know until it starts to bubble again!

If you were doing a full batch I'd do at least two weeks in primary and then transfer to a secondary for a long time. Since its a small test batch I'd do a month total and then try it so that you can get a big batch going!

Just FYI, as far as I have seen, most brewers don't add raisins to their ciders. That is more of a mead thing to do. Cider has a lot more nutrient in it then honey has. It won't kill you to have them in there, but it isn't something you need to do.

i had looked up some of the older methods.. of keeping everything all natural... and some of them said add raisins... cant hurt ....

as far as time... prob 2 weeks in primary... then let it sit 2 weeks in 2nd.... as long as it clears try it out... hopefully it tests out at about 1 for sugars

Back