Anyone have a good baked bean recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfess1

Reaction score
We have a group brew day at our place this saturday. I'm looking to do some smoked baked beans. Anyone have a tried and true recipe? I've got a couple from some search's, but nothing with any feedback on it. Maybe one with some bourbon in it? Making 4 butts at the same time.

Wish I could be more exact. Our recipe looks something like this. I've never had bad baked beans from it.

A few cans of pork and beans
Handful of brown sugar (maybe 1 cup)
A squirt of mustard (maybe 1/4 cup)
A squirt of ketchup (maybe 1/2 cup)
Some cooked bacon (more the merrier)

Bake it till it's nice and thick.

We're just simple folk and we don't worry too much about the amounts. This will get you a thick sweet dish of baked beans.

OK do it right!
3 large cans Baked beans
1lb bacon cooked crisp
1 large onion
1 Green pepper
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup minced garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes

After cooking bacon, drain the pan, leaving a little grease
Dice Onion and green pepper
Mix beans and Brown sugar and mustard in baking dish
Saute in bacon drippings Onion, green peppers, garlic and crushed red pepper until onion and peppers
are soft
Mix onion/pepper/garlic into beans/sugar
top with bacon

Bake at 325 for 1 hour.

May not be smokey but are REALLY GOOD!

1# Ground Beef
1/2 c chopped onions
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cans (15 oz ea) pork & beans
1 can (15 oz) butter beans, drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans
1 can (15 oz) light red kidney beans, drained
1/2 c catchup
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T Vinegar
1/4 tsp Tabasco

Brown ground beef and saute, pour off the fat. To a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients and mix well. Pour into 2 qt casserole dish or 9x13 cake pan. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I usually adjust vinegar and Tabasco amounts to taste.

I've made these a few times and have never had any leftovers.:D

WICKED BAKED BEANS
(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
1/2 Medium onion, diced
1/2 Bell pepper, diced
1 - 2 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
1 - 55 ounce can Bushs Baked Beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup ketchup
1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Saute bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Saute onion, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

So I took a little of column A and a little of Column B and came up with the following:

2 sweet onions, diced
1 Lg Green Bell Pepper diced
2 Jalapeno's finely diced
3 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 lb thick cut bacon, cooked and cut into 1" ish pieces

I drained all but a bit of the bacon fat and then sauteed the veggies in there until soft.

Meanwhile in a stock pot I mixed:

2 28 oz cans of "Homestyle" beans - Generic store brand.
2 16 oz cans of Grandma Browns Baked Beans - these are super thick, like holding the shape of the can thick. Helps to level out the soupy "homestyle" beans.
Generous helping of Spicy Brown Mustard
2 Cups UN packed Dark Brown Sugar - Simply because I didn't feel like trying to pack it in these collapsible measure cups my wife has. Yes, I was lazy.
Probably close to 1/4 C of Jim Beam Bourbon
The bacon from before

Once the veggies were done, I mixed them in, poured into a disposable roasting pan, covered with aluminum foil, and put it in the fridge. I'll put these on for 3 hrs @ 230*, under the butts to collect some nice drippings. But that will be early on tomorrow morning. I used the Stock Pot because it was the largest mixing bowl I had, as I was currently using the largest bowl to put the beans in and it was already full before adding anything else! The spoon used to mix it up tasted pretty damn good.

So i took the beans and put them under the butts for the last 3 hours of the smoke to collect the drippings. Holy hell were these things un freaking believable!!!

2 cans Campbell's pork & beans
1/2# bacon
1 med onion
3/4 c. Brown sugar
1/2 c. Ketchup

Sautée bacon until crisp, add onions (diced) and sautée until translucent.
Combine all ingredients, mix well and bake, uncovered on 350° for 1/2hr.

I sometimes add a few cranks of fresh pepper on the top, too, but that's completely optional.

I start by soaking a bag of beans overnight in water.
Next day I start the crock pot early with:
1lb bacon - raw and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
brown sugar
molasses
mustard powder
ginger powder
salt
pepper
apple cider

Mix all together and let them cook. when they are a few hours in i transfer them to an aluminum pan and smoke under whatever pork product is being smoked. AWESOME!

I've never been disappointed by Alton Brown's baked beans.

They are not smoked, but I am sure you can adapt it.
You'll never open a can of beans again. I've converted people who hate regular baked beans into bean-lovers with AB's recipe.
I've even made giant batches for weddings by request.

Ingredients
1 pound dried Great Northern beans
1 pound bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
Vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons kosher salt
Directions
Heat oven to 250 degrees F.

Soak beans in a plastic container overnight in just enough cold water to submerge them completely.

Place a cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat and stir in the bacon, onion, and jalapenos until enough fat has rendered from the bacon to soften the onions, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, dark brown sugar, and molasses.

Drain the beans and reserve the soaking liquid. Add the drained beans to the Dutch oven. Place the soaking liquid in a measuring cup and add enough vegetable broth to equal 4 cups of liquid. Add the liquid to the Dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat. Add in cayenne, black pepper and salt. Give them a stir and cover with the lid. Place the Dutch oven in the oven for 6 to 8 hours, or until the beans are tender.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...nd-future-beans-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

We have a group brew day at our place this saturday. I'm looking to do some smoked baked beans. Anyone have a tried and true recipe? I've got a couple from some search's, but nothing with any feedback on it. Maybe one with some bourbon in it? Making 4 butts at the same time.

Picking up the drippings from the pork is a nice move. My recipe is has pleased hundreds of people:
Canned baked beans- gotta be Bush's
As much diced bacon as you want
Diced onion
Cider vinegar
Red pepper flakes, pinch
Brown sugar
A splash of worchestershire
Some ketchup
Molasses- the key ingredient

All are added to your taste after the bacon's rendered and the onions are almost caramelized.

Latest posts

Back