ebay aquarium temp controller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone help with this wiring diagram?... I just received my digital temp control, But I order the ( ºF ) temp control. Now, I was going to follow the OP wiring diagram but my unit is different.

Any help will be appreciated for a wiring diagram. See image for details.
Note: Im trying to install straight to the mini fridge for fermentation. Thank you in advance...

pch54za_4.jpg

IMAG0317.jpg

djsoto said:
So does that mean, this controller does NOT have heat control?

Most likely. If you had read a bit of the thread, you would have known there's a reason everybody is using a Celsius model... and it's not because the 2,000+ posts were all written by clueless idiots!

Thank You, Will try this.

So does that mean, this controller does NOT have heat control?

It means it's single stage, and at any given time can control either heating or cooling, but not both at the same time. You can easily switch between heating and cooling mode in the menu.

I bought my STC-1000 on eBay for $26. I'll pick up the rest of the stuff before it arrives, and I'm looking forward to trying to put this thing together based on the information here. Thanks to all those that have contributed.

...based on the many helpful posts in this thread.

Freezementor%20Temp%20Controller.jpg

I was able rig my freezer to use its defrost heater for heat (rarely needed), which allowed me to keep the interior of the freezer "clean". I rigged the fan to go on when either the compressor or heater is activated, using a couple 120V relays.

Freezementor%20Power%20Relays.jpg

I ordered mine yesterday, and picked up all the electrical pieces today. I figured it was about time to get fermentation temps under control.

Counting my own post, I'm the first person to read all 2,259 of them. :tank:

I'll go away now.

I made it through the first 50 pages or so, then just more posts of the same posts.... But I already had the picture of what I wanted in my head, I was just looking for pictures anyway.

@arkham, is that a quick disconnect you made for the temp probe? I need to do the same thing. I mounted my box to the wall and the probe has been "foamed" into the FC, a disconnect is required. I just wasn't sure if it would change the temp readings if I changed the length of the cord. It looks like its just to wires.

NTC means Negative Temperature Coefficient. They are very sensitive to temperature change over a close range, more so than RTD's even. Unfortunately they are not terribly linear over wider spans and lose favor to RTD's in that instance. Adding a connector in series with the wires will add a negligible amount of resistance to the circuit and have a minimal effect on the accuracy of the sensor. You can always add an offset to the controller if it is off too much.

Is the first page of this thread still current enough? Wasn't ready to go through 200+ posts :(

I need to build one of these bad boys instead of dropping $80 on something else..

just wanted to say thank you for this thread, i just put my controller together for $24+6+8+2= around $40, not too shabby :)

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread! I purchased my temp controller from globalconn and it arrived in 9 days for $24 shipped. I have very limited electrical experience and it took me less than an hour to wire up. By far the most difficult part of the whole project was cutting the holes in the radioshack project box for the controller and the outlet. The probe's calibration appears to be spot on, and I'm currently using a 45 watt heating pad to keep my fermentation chamber at a comfortable 67 degrees.

Total cost: about $36 and a little bit more than two hours of time. This thing is an absolute steal.

-Adam

Finally built mine. Did the basic project box setup. It's currently holding my conical rock solid at 68 degrees. I wish I would have done this a long time ago. I'll build a good ferm chamber before the summer to really put this thing to work too! Thanks for all the helps and great pics guys!

I didn't have as good a result from this as other people. My buddy assembled everything per the instructions and diagrams on this thread. It worked great for a month or so with our first beer. Then all of a sudden I wake up one morning and the alarm in screaming in the unit and the error code EE i up. Directions say that it's a ground fault. I check all my outlets with a tester and they are all fine. I then used an extension cord to pull current from another- same problem. I even had a spare controller of the same build so I switched it out. Same problem.

Either way I'm buying a Northern Brewer controller. Looking at what their digital costs ($80). compared to what this costs in time and money I should have went this route sooner.

I am not positive, but I have seen an EE error when my temperature probe was not attached. Is it possible that your temperature probe got disconnected or damaged in some way?

Either way I'm buying a Northern Brewer controller. Looking at what their digital costs ($80). compared to what this costs in time and money I should have went this route sooner.

It looks like the controller you speak of is either Heat OR Cool... not both at the same time. The beauty of the ebay controller is that it will run both AS NEEDED to maintain constant temps...

It looks like the controller you speak of is either Heat OR Cool... not both at the same time. The beauty of the ebay controller is that it will run both AS NEEDED to maintain constant temps...

... soooooo your heating and cooling at the SAME time?

makes as much sense as wiping before you poop? or am I missing something here?

chairbornrangerx said:
... soooooo your heating and cooling at the SAME time?

makes as much sense as wiping before you poop? or am I missing something here?

huh, it's a thermostat!! Put the temperature where you want and it will heat or cool to reach the setpoint!! My house thermostat works the same way in AUTO for spring and fall when it's cold at night and hotter than hell in the day!! The other controller makes you change its mode to heat or cool (not AUTO)

Back