College students might have something!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So you know how at college parties they tend to use those plastic cups. Well I have a large amount at my house for some reason so I figured i would have one of my beers in it instead of my tulip glasses or my stein so i wouldn't have more dishes to do. I drank and noticed my beer tasted even more phenominal than normal. I'm not sure why all my beer glasses are hand washed. Maybe the soap I use gives off flavors where as the plastic cups do not. If you haven't tried it you should definitely give it a whirl.

I can see where you're coming from with not having any residual soap on the glasses, but the reason we use them is A) you throw them away - no dishes B) they don't break... and that's the biggest one. C) their cheap.

Those are all I use for my poker games and other get-togethers. I don't have a dishwasher and I don't want to break any of my pint glasses so those work really well.

I can't say I've ever noticed a difference in taste.

I switched to plastic cups when I built my keezer. It is way too easy to grab a beer real quick, and I was getting really tired of washing pint glasses.

There is a difference in taste. I think its a carbonation difference though. The ridges in the glass might do something similar to the nucleated glasses idk.

could it have something to do with nostalgia? Drinking out of the plastic cup reminds you of your happy college days and so you subliminally think it tastes better than it actually is? I know that's the case with me and my wife with Red Stripe. We honeymooned in Jamaica and that's all we drank down there. Now everythime we drink Redstripe it reminds us of our honeymoon and makes it taste better than it actually is. Just an idea.:drunk:

could it have something to do with nostalgia? Drinking out of the plastic cup reminds you of your happy college days and so you subliminally think it tastes better than it actually is?

That's my guess.

I mean is a $5.00 hot dog at the ball park really any better than a 50 cent one off your grill at home?

I can't imagine drinking beer out of plastic cup is better than a good glass. Likewise, I recently had a bratwurst at a MLB game and is was pretty nasty. The beer was Labatts and both were expensive, but the game was great even though the Tigers lost. We had a great time anyway.

I'd rather wash a few glasses (I have a dishwasher AND a teenager) then use plastic cups. And, yes I have used them when we have a lot of company over.

FYI - My college days consisted of working 7 days days a week, going to school nearly full time, being married, raising a new baby, and remodeling our house. At the same time. I didnt' drink much back then, but maybe I should have!

Back