Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarsNBars8

Reaction score
If I want a good hop aroma, but I want to limit the overal hop flavor (I have some who partake and complain if my IPA is to hoppy) can I accomplish this with dry hopping, or am I going to do just the opposite?

It will increase the aroma without affecting the bitterness, or the flavor too much. But remember that most of our sense of taste is in our noses, so an increase in aroma is going to increase the hop pressence in the beer, possibly making it seem even hoppier, even though it may have less hops and bitteness in it. Perhaps switch to a hop that isn't so bold (even though I don't know your recipe) or try an English IPA which may be the perfect alternative.

If I want a good hop aroma, but I want to limit the overal hop flavor (I have some who partake and complain if my IPA is to hoppy) can I accomplish this with dry hopping, or am I going to do just the opposite?

There's basically three dimensions that hops contribute to beer, Bitterness, flavor and aroma. The bitterness primarily comes from your first hop addition at the beginning of the boil. If your trying to reduce bitterness, reduce the amount of your first hop addition, or go with a bittering hop that has a lower alpha acid %. Using a hop with low co-humulone content for bittering will lower the perception of bitterness as well. Your hop aroma comes from your final hop addition late in the boil and from dry hopping. The more hops you dry hop with, the stronger the hop nose your brew will have, without affecting the bitterness.

Thanks Guys!

This is what I assumed... but I wanted to make sure. I appreciate it.

Back