Choosing a Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangeCatBrewery

Reaction score
I have been using bleach as a sanitizer and am going to buy one of the commercial brands. Is there on cleaner that will "do it all". Or should I get one for the glass carboy and a different cleaner for bottles and accessories, siphon, tubing etc...

Is this a good idea or is it over-kill?

I was going to order Powdered Brewery Wash for the carboy and One-Step for everything else.

I am looking at these 4.....
Powdered Brewery Wash
Sanistar
One-Step
B-Brite

:D
I have been using bleach as a sanitizer and am going to buy one of the commercial brands. Is there on cleaner that will "do it all". Or should I get one for the glass carboy and a different cleaner for bottles and accessories, siphon, tubing etc...

Is this a good idea or is it over-kill?

I was going to order Powdered Brewery Wash for the carboy and One-Step for everything else.

I am looking at these 4.....
Powdered Brewery Wash
Sanistar
One-Step
B-Brite

Yes. It is bleach. It will work as both a cleaner and a sanitizer and I used it for both for 20+ years. There are many products on the market and they are listed in the above link that have advantages over bleach. Personally I have found PBW is great as a cleaner and Star San rocks as a sanitizer - just don't fear the foam! :D

GT

I have been using oxiclean as a cleaner and starsan for sanitizing and it has been working very well. Revvy sent you in the right direction and there is no one answer, several methods will work just fine.

You can't beat PBW or Oxiclean as a cleaner and StarSan as a Sanitizer, PERIOD!

If you use bleach, be prepared to rinse, rinse, rinse, unless you like Band Aid Beer.

You can't beat PBW or Oxiclean as a cleaner and StarSan as a Sanitizer, PERIOD!

If you use bleach, be prepared to rinse, rinse, rinse, unless you like Band Aid Beer.

I really am enjoying the no rinsing part of starsan. That combined with my new kegs and life just got a whole lot easier. :)

I've been really happy with oxyclean for cleaning and iodophor for sanitization. I use iodophor as a 'no rinse' and have had no off-flavours or infections yet. As well I can use it for checking my mash conversion. I really can't see myself changing anytime soon...

oxy-clean FREE, and star-san here.

its a hard combo to beat, for price, effectiveness, and ease of use.

noob question: What is "pbw"? Is that an Acronym or a brand? I've seen it on these forums
several times.

Idophor as a cleaner and sanitizer for me. Use a little more percentage of idophor for the cleaner then add more water to dilute it to make it a no rinse sanitizer.

Back