My 2nd brew...good stout ingredient kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllGoNoShow

Reaction score
Got started with a True Brew Canadian Ale kit and for the 2nd brew I want to do a stout and just want the ease of it in kit form. My preference on taste: I like Guiness but I want something that is slightly less filling (if at all possible!) and slightly less bitter. I LOVE Sam Adams Cream Stout. Anyone ever brewed a kit that they would like to share with me? Or maybe offer up suggestions on how to change one of the Irish Stout kits from midwest supply or AHB to maybe make them a little less bitter (if they are even bitter to begin with).

Also, just to save money on shipping (at least that is what I tell the fiance) I want to pick up another kit for the 3rd brew....looking for something with high alcohol content (7% or more) but is, again, not ridiculouslly bitter, goes down as smooth as a high alcohol content beer can, and I'm not looking to spend $60 for a 5 gallon kit. I liked the Molson XXX (7%+) in my younger days but not nessesarily trying to replicate that style...just the smoothness of it. Thanks for the help.

I gave up alcohol for Lent so I have a bunch of time before I get an opportunity to really enjoy these brews....but making them seems to be as much fun!

The True Brew Stout kit is actually pretty darn good. You can put in less hops to ease the bitterness a bit. A cream stout uses lactose, an unfermentable sugar, to create sweetness that doesn't ferment out, which will also reduce the perceived bitterness. ~8oz should do it.

AllGoNoShow said:
Just started looking at the Austin Hombrew kits. What do you think about this sweet stout?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_42_159&products_id=313

And I might just throw in this cheap promotional amber ale they have ($20!)-

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_42_166&products_id=10745

Gonna stick with the dry yeast and of maybe get the alcohol boost with em.

Sweet stout looks great (and I do love a good sweet stout!!), AHS kits have quite a reputation of quality on these boards, so I don't think you'll be disapointed with either of these.

Back