single tier build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpooky

Reaction score
Heres a single tier that Iv been working on. The gass plumbing isnt done yet, but almost. I plan on puting wood on the sides like I did on the front.
From left to right will be my HLT, MT, and BK. On the left side (where the wood isnt on yet, I plan on mounting a water filter so I can go streight up to the HLT. On the right side (where ther wood isnt on yet), I plan on mounting a GFI power box to plug a pump/ pumps into. On the frount (under the BK) Im gonna mount a water chiller. Does it seem like my plans are in order, or are there any sudgestions on the way my configuration might work better?
thanks
spooky
WP_000973_zps78393453.jpg

WP_001021_zps809c096f.jpg

WP_001022_zpsdd392685.jpg

AAAAAHHHHH thanks! for the wood, the #1 the reason for it was to have something to facine the gas pipe and other stuff to. The #2 reason was because I kept reading about "shields" around the burners to keep a even constant flame without the wind effecting it. Thought Id kill 2 birds with one stone. Is it not a good Idea?
Thanks for the replies. I like to hear different opinions so I can form a conclusion for myself. Granted, for the most part I (myself) am wrong on most things, or maby Im just mistaken, but regardless,,,,.....
Im new at this, but I dont follow somehing just because someone says so. Just a question, how would the wood inhibit the air flow? Usualy when I run burners (on different apperatus) I gotta choke the air way down to get a good hot blue flame. I will def do a test run before everything is put together and see if the air flow is a issue. Maby Ill mock up some sides and tape them on before I go through the trouble of bolting them on. Thanks for pointing that out! Id have been pissed off if I would have put all that together just to find out that it all needed to come off.

You will have plenty of air flow on the other 3 sides of that stand. I wouldn't worry about having the wood on there. Like you said, you want to be able to fasten things to it. Looks good.

If there is an issue you can always get a hole saw and drill a couple breather holes in it. Most people run into problems when they put shields around the burner themselves then set a pot right on the shield with no place for the exhaust gases to go and it kills the flame.

I think I have enough room for the flame. That still is a small concern for me though. The stand is 20" deep, and the burners are the small 6" ones. So just off the top of my head, Im thinking that theres about 6" from the edge of the burner to the wood....... the frame is 1" stock and I think its 12g (its right at a 1/4" thick.
spooky

you may need to use some "HardyPlank" or such to protect the wood. A co brewer has a wooden frame system. He cut a couple of "fat" T's from the siding and just hangs them between the side and the burner. Only needs them for the BK

I like the idea for mounting and such but with your keggles sitting right on the stand and no real shield for the wood and the wood mounted right to the stand I am wondering if you are going to have problems. Might not have any issues at all but I know my stand gets hot and I made heat shields that keep a lot of heat off my stand (my paint job still looks great after countless batches), let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the tip GrainBill, I might end up doing that.
Rekoob, what guage did you make your heat shields from?
thanks
spooky

Back