I've got a few bucks and some $$$$

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estricklin

Reaction score
So in the winter I usually take whatever leftover vacation I have. This year I'm on a 2 week on 1 week off schedule, I work in the oilfields and we have no completion activity mostly due to low nat gas prices, so I'm getting the Christmas Holidays off followed by my week off, followed by a weeks vacation.

It's only been a few days and I'm already bored, just can't seem to find anything to do since it's winter. I did get a 3,200 dollar Christmas bonus, so I figured why not buy some grain!!

AAgghhhh I just can't think of anything to brew. I'm drinking a New Castle clone right now and finishing up a porter, have an IPA, Cream Stout and Bass clone on the pipeline as well.

Anybody got any ideas? I'm in that blah mood where nothing sounds good. Today I didn't leave the house or do crap besides jogging. Think I'll have a beer and look at some recipes while I wait on some replies.

Thanks Guys.

Next for me is Biermunchers Centennial Blonde. It's a great brew to have on hand

Make some meads, braggots or a gruit or get this summers batch of skeeterpee going.

Find yourself some unpasteurized apple cider in the grocery store(might have to look in a hippie market) add yeast and shazaam cider....

It doesn't necessarily even need to be unpasteurized. As long as it's free of potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite your should be good.

Most of the juice I use in cider is apple juice from concentrate, water, and ascorbic acid. It has been pasteurized. The cider will be better if you use high quality cider as opposed to excessively filtered apple juice.

If your LHBS has some, it's a good idea to use some pectin enzyme too.

It doesn't necessarily even need to be unpasteurized. As long as it's free of potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite your should be good.

Most of the juice I use in cider is apple juice from concentrate, water, and ascorbic acid. It has been pasteurized. The cider will be better if you use high quality cider as opposed to excessively filtered apple juice.

If your LHBS has some, it's a good idea to use some pectin enzyme too.

Could you help me out with some brand names maybe I can order some online, rurual AR, have to take a trip to Little Rock to buy anything besides Welch's probably.

Could you help me out with some brand names maybe I can order some online, rurual AR, have to take a trip to Little Rock to buy anything besides Welch's probably.
I've got some Musselmans cider atm that is destined for hard cider. That was 5.98/gallon. I like a cider instead of a juice for a base when I'm doing a spiced hard cider.

I've got a batch in the fermentor now that is just cheapo members mark juice. That's Sam's Club/Walmart store brand, and it's really as cheap as your probably going to find. just under 4$ a gallon.

Honestly, unless your super rural, you can probably find something that will give you some decent cider in your local supermarket. You just need to read the labels a bit.

You might also want to consider doing a small batch of cider, like 1 gallon or so, until you know if you like it. IMO, hard cider really needs at least a couple months of conditioning before it's good. 6 months is better...

Here's a good thread to look at. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/

I've got some Musselmans cider atm that is destined for hard cider. That was 5.98/gallon. I like a cider instead of a juice for a base when I'm doing a spiced hard cider.

I've got a batch in the fermentor now that is just cheapo members mark juice. That's Sam's Club/Walmart store brand, and it's really as cheap as your probably going to find. just under 4$ a gallon.

Honestly, unless your super rural, you can probably find something that will give you some decent cider in your local supermarket. You just need to read the labels a bit.

You might also want to consider doing a small batch of cider, like 1 gallon or so, until you know if you like it. IMO, hard cider really needs at least a couple months of conditioning before it's good. 6 months is better...

Here's a good thread to look at. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/

OK I think I can do this.

I've had hard cider and I love it, just never made it. I'm guessing White Labs has some sort of cider yeast?

Here is my problem, I'm definately wanting to do the juniper rye ale and I have a milk stout planned. I would like another ale (or cider) that could ferment at the ame temp since I can do 3 at a time in my fermentation cooler.

I think it is time for some serious research. Go to the nearest beer store and buy a ton of beer in styles you are not familiar with. Drink them all and decide what you like........

Leadgolem said:

I just picked up two 1-gallon glass jugs of pasteurized, organic, preservative free, unfiltered apple juice from a local grocery store. Wanted the jugs for mead or a large starter - they were only $7.50 ea. Nothing like "buy carboy, get free juice."

Let us know how the juniper brew goes!

I think it is time for some serious research. Go to the nearest beer store and buy a ton of beer in styles you are not familiar with. Drink them all and decide what you like........

I do this quite often actually.

Thanks everyone I decided to brew the Juniper Rye Ale (special thanks to that poster), a clone of Left Hand's Milk Stout and a Moose Drool Clone. Got everything ordered!!

estricklin said:
I do this quite often actually.

Thanks everyone I decided to brew the Juniper Rye Ale (special thanks to that poster), a clone of Left Hand's Milk Stout and a Moose Drool Clone. Got everything ordered!!

Looks like a good line up. Enjoy

Back