Pulling LME out of the fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djmd

Reaction score
I read somewhere recently, not sure where, that if you store LME in the fridge, that you need to take it out for at least a week before you brew. Is this correct, and if so, can you offer an explaination?

the reason I ask is that is that I'm trying to figure out why two of my last 10 or so batches went bad. I know why one went bad - I badly scorched the malt extract on the the bottom of the kettle... really bad... had to sand it off. But I also had a hefe that was really REALLY sour/tangy. Could have been lactobacillus, perhaps, but as I recall, that LME was in the fridge for probably two weeks, and when I brewed it, I took it straight from the fridge and dumped it into the boiling water.

Thanks in advance....

I don't see how cold LME could be a problem...the reason you want to take it out of the fridge is so it will warm up enough to be poured...don't see how that could take a week tho, unless you live in an igloo.

I've got a 30 lb jug of LME in the fridge, and I have used it straight out of that jug for my last few batches. No problems whatsoever.

I find it hard to believe that you need to let it warm up for a week before using it, but if that's true... I'd REALLY be interested in finding out why. Seems too weird to be for real.

-walker

Thanks guys. Yeah, it made no sense to me at all. Maybe it was a typo and they meant if you "freeze" it, to let it thaw in the fridge for a week.

The mystery of the tangy hefe remains......

I freeze mine and just take the bag out when I start setting up to brew. I'd bet on a lacto infection for tangy.

I had a GF that swore freezing maple syrup gave you gas.

david_42 said:
I had a GF that swore freezing maple syrup gave you gas.

Is it implied that you had to subsequently consume it, or does just the act of freezing it cause the flatulence? :D

-walker

I'm laughing. Does it have to be your maple syrup? If I freeze somebody else's maple syrup, will it give them gas?

"Whoa, sorry, guys. I think somebody froze my maple syrup!"

Thats definately a lactic acid or acetic acid bacterial infection. Scrub the heck out of all your equipment. If your using plastic buckets and there old get rid of them, because if its the acetic acid or vinegar infection you will not be able to get that out of plastic. Soak your equipment in pbw one night and the next night in a idophor soultion. sanitize sanitize and oh sanitize

Yeah, at this point I'm fairly certain it was. It was brewed right in the middle of the hot summer, and I remember it taking a long time to cool the wort. I distinctly remember over-imbiding as well :) so I probably wasn't as careful with the cooling wort as I should have been. Good thing is, since then, I've brewed about 5 times and it hasn't re-occured.

Back