No Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomerbr

Reaction score
I want to brew a Berliner soon.
I read about how it was traditionally made.
It involves decoction brewing technique which I understand how to perform.
I also read in some places that after the mash the wort was drained directly into the fermentation vessel. Now, this frighten me a little. Are there any advantages (beside time) to No boil brewing? is there a difference in the taste or feel that I (or anyone) should risk a no boil?

I know there has been some discussions around this technique but everything I read failed to really measure the benefits and the downsides of this technique.
I hope to achieve this in this thread.

Thanks

Well, a Berliner is a sour beer. Sour beers are made sour by lactobacillus. Grain naturally has a lot of lactobacillus and other bacteria on it. So, if you do your mash, then drain directly into a fermenting vessel, the lacto should take hold and sour your beer up nicely.

Some people will do this and call it a day. Others will drain and let it sit for a few days until the sourness is in the right place, then boil to kill off the bacteria. After that you can pitch regular yeast to finish the beer off.

Alternatively, you could do a normal boil (berliner boils are normally very short, like 15-30 minutes), then pitch a normal S.cerevisiae like Kolsch or German Ale along with a lactobacillus culture. This will give you the advantage of controlling your level of sourness, what specifically is going into the beer and give you more repeatable results.

Grain does have bugs in it. If you have ever been lazy and not cleaned out the mash tun for a day or two, you know exactly what I'm talking about. The disadvantage, and possibly what makes it fun is you don't know how much is there. That means that your no boil Berliner may sour up nicely in a week one time, but may take 2 weeks to a few months next time.

Both ways work, and both ways produce a good Berliner. For a first timer, it may be a little more worry free if you boil and pitch pure cultures though.

I made a very tasty berliner by doing a flash pastuerization after the mash, just bringing it up to 180 degrees. Threw the lid on the kettle, and let it naturally cool. The next day I racked into the fermenter, warmed it up a bit with a heat belt, and then pitched a lacto culture. Let the lacto go for a few days to get some good sourness, then pitch yeast.

Many thanks to you all.
I do not have a lacto culture where I live so, if I finish the mash, then boil for about 15 minutes and then throw in some grains to produce the acid will it work? (yeast will be added later)

Back