Dis stuff don't taste so good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orleans

Reaction score
I'm new at this. I started with several (5) Coopers hopped extracts. Didn't buy the complete kit as per my local brew shop advice. Just the extract then used DME. They turned out great. About a week in the primary then straight to the bottle. Gave them a couple of weeks then down the hatch. Of course the beer became better as time went along. (3 12oz a day is my habit) So I decided to up the ante a little and bought a Brewers Best and a few More beer kits. Extract + flavoring grains+hops. 2 weeks in the primary, 2 in secondary then to the bottle. When I checked the gravity I always give it a little taste. The Coopers, while not tasty was still reasonable and I could get an idea of what I had a cookin'. On tasting the others, both the More Beer and 1 Brewers Best the taste of the hops was over powering, green and nasty. I opened one of the young bottles (10 days) as I was worried. Had to pour it out. So, all of that to ask this. Will my little friends (yeasties) fix this with time? Do they eat hops? Did I do something wrong? The beer was not as clear as the coopers either. How much longer does it take extract+hops beer to finish? thanks, jm

Just relax and give them time... A minimum of 3 weeks. Remember green beer can be funky! I had a BB kit red ale that tasted like crap after it had been in the bottle for a week, but with time it got better and better. 4-5 weeks and the stuff was awesome!

A few things: give it more time in the primary. Most people here will tell ya to leave it in there for at least 2 weeks, usually 3. You can't leave it in there too long, you won't ruin anything!

Also, in terms of clarity, does the haze go away when the beer warms up? If you didn't cool the wort quickly enough after the boil, you won't get a good cold break, which can result in chill haze. Not a serious problem, just cosmetic.

Not sure about the hop taste, except that things generally do improve over time. There may be a difference between using hopped and un-hopped extract, but I'm not sure. Never used hopped extract.

Cheers,
Mike

it's hard to tell on such little information. if your fermenter got too hot time may never heal those wounds. if you picked up some wild yeast or bacteria, it won't necessarily get better with time. if everything went well and your beer is truly green then time will help it.

That aroma of hops will dissipate a bit. I had a dryhopped citra and cascade that tasted perfect transfering from primary to bottles. Then when I had some a week later it was good but a lot of the taste and aroma was gone. Then the next week even more. I only did an ounce total of citra and cascade though, next time doing 2 ounces.

What kind of kits did you buy? If they are IPAs and you don't like hops, I anticipate a problem.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using HB Talk

Thanks guys, --not IPAs, a series of reds-- BB Red ale, MB Red Kolsh,(just had to try this $22 beer!) MB Irish Red. Bitter does't bother me, no, bitter is good. It is just that it tasted like I popped one of the hop pellets into my mouth and chewed it up. I'm loving the sound of moorerm04's post. Only hope he's correct. What threw me is the taste difference between the coopers and the others at the same stage in the game. I'm gonna pick up another coppers this week end as this is throwing off my "seamless" brewing plan. "--must---have---beeeer--" homer s. jm

sorry, How fast is fast enough to get a good cold break. I use an ice water bath, cools it in just a few minutes. I found a 50 coil of 3/8 copper in my store room and plan to put together wort cooler this week end also. jm

There's nothing wrong with using hopped extracts. Take the Cooper's Original Series,for instance. The OS cans have bittering only with Pride of Ringwood hops. So you don't need to do any additional bittering. Just do late hop additions with the plain DME you're going to add to it @ 20-25 minutes left in the boil.
For example,I use half of a 3lb bag of plain DME in 2.5-3 gallons of boiling water. Get through the foamy hot break,then do my late hop additions for flavor,& aroma. Add remaining DME,then remove from heat at flame out to add the pre-hopped Cooper's can. Never boil pre-hopped LME,as it drives off the hop flavors &/or bittering hops.
And make sure all the LME is scrapped off the bottom of the BK when stiring it in. Then put a lid on it to steep 15 minutes or so while you sanitize the FV,etc. Then put the kettle in an ice bath,use immersion chiller,whatever you use to get it down to pitch temp asap. The faster you get it down to pitch temp,the less chill haze you'll get when the time comes for the 1st fridge time. And the haze will settle out faster.

Back