can i bottle in growlers????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmebaby

Reaction score
a local brew pub sells beer to go in 64 oz. growlers. my question is, if i manage to get new caps for them and sanitize everything appropriately, can i use them to bottle condition in? will the large volume have a different effect on carbonation than that of the 22 oz. bottles i usually use?

I asked my brew shop this question some time ago and they said that they have but you are takeing chance with 1/2 gal of your beer if it doesn't go well. But it should work if you use a new metal type cap. But it is a little risky so I have not attempted it yet.
Cheers

thanks for the feedback and the link to the old thread. my LHBS sold me the same kind of metal caps that came on the growlers originally, and they do have an opaque rubber seal. so i think i'm gonna try it :rockin:

You want the Polyseal Screw caps found here.

I regularly bottle into 1/2 gallon growlers and use these caps. They are reusable (remember to sanitize). They hold carbonation just fine, and I've noticed better flavor from the 1/2gallon size (ageing in bulk) vs my 12 or 22oz bottles... could be nothing, but it seems better.

I collect up as many growlers as I can, and try to do 2 or 3 for every batch of beer that I make. It makes taking a sample to enjoy with friends much easier... not to mention making bottling much easier as well.

Back