Making first ten gallon batch. Wort kind of tastes burnt..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
14 lbs. amber, LME malt extract
2 lb. crystal malt, 60¡ Lovibond
3 lb. American six-row pale ale malt
3lb oatmeal (quick)
1 lb. chocolate malt
1 lb. roasted barley
1 tsp. Irish moss, for 15 min.
4 oz. Fuggles hop pellets (4.2% alpha acid), for 45 min.
Wyeast 1084, Irish ale yeast

All grains and malts were cracked and into a pot with lid on for an hour.

Drained. Wort then had 14 lbs of amber added. It tastes kind of burned at the back of the throat is that bad? But it tastes creamy. somehwat.

Continue... taste changes so dramatically from lautering, to boiling, to fermenting to aging... dont waste it, it will be good, dont worry.

Sorry, yeah I think it should be OK.

This is the first pre mash ive done. Im hoping the grain bag didnt touch the bottom of the kettle, im sure it didnt. I kept the temp at 155 deg for an hour.

Hope that was right.

That is not an unusual ammount of roasted barley, I just did a 5 gallon stout and I had 8oz... so 1lb in a 10 gallon batch should be AOK... I also included 1lb of chocolate malt. Mine is in the secondary and it tastes a little burnt too, give it time.

Yeah, I use coolers, so I dont have the issues with the burning, but if you kept it on the heat, stir it, keep the grains from sticking to the bottom, was there anything burnt to the bottom of the kettle? Roasted barley is going to give you a distinct roasted taste...

i have read that too much roasted barley can leave a burnt taste.
that being said - i personally would continue - aging can cure a multitude of problems

I am giving my stout a month or so in the secondary... like I said, the roasted barley could maybe be cut in half in both of our recipes... but, aging will make the flavors mellow and come together... I am a big fan of aging. I brew 6 weeks out nowdays, not 2 like I once did LOL

Awesome. Yeah no signs of burning at the bottom.. Im super careful about that.

I think it is the roasted barley as im making it right now the burnt flavor is turning into a type of burnt coffee flavor now.

Ill keep an eye on it.

Thanks

Back