Seeking Advise on yeast culturing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobS

Reaction score
I am about to attempt to culture yeast out of a couple of bottles of beer. I would like to streak plates and work from there. I have never done this before and would be interested in any thoughts and experience out there.

Also just to make it even harder on me I am going to be attempting to do this from spontaneously fermented beers. (Yes I am aware of the microbial soup that they contain) My thought/ hope is to pull one or two nice Sac. sp. yeast from them. So ...?

If you are after the yeast, I'd pitch them into a starter medium and let them grow some, then decant. You should be left with a higher percentage of yeast to work with.

you would be better going with a slant to sub culture your yeast

any asian or phillipene store can provide malt agar (as they use this to cook with) just bring it to a boil then pour it into sterile tubes and lean them on a book about an inch thick

when time to sub culture have a flame sourse ready

sterile tech

flame the hoop

flame the tube

smear the sample

flame the tube

cap the tube

place in room temp incubation

Thats about what I was thinking. Since I have an impure culture to begin with I was going to use petri dishes to find "Yeast' vs "beast' first Thank you

Back