just bought this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

78kombi

Reaction score
2%20Keg%20Basic%20Homebrew5000.jpg

this should be a good start,
so Question, do i keep the c02 bottle outside the fridge?
or do i drill a few holes

You can do either - if you have room in the fridge, I'd keep it there. One less hole you have to drill

it would be one less hole! but you do lose some of the capacity of the tank when kept cold. probably not enough to bother you but just keep an eye on your tank pressure so you don't get stuck having to refill earlier than planned!

I've got the same kit with a 10# tank, got it in the fridge. the cold throws the high pressure gauge reading off, but everything seems to work ok.

easiest to just keep it in the fridge.

Only time i plan on moving mine outside the keezer, is when i have 6 full kegs and a colar built.

the high pressure guage only really tells you that you have liquid in the tank anyways, so it isn much info, until it starts falling (almost empty)

BTW, Nice buy, that was my 2nd choice when i bought mine.

you do lose some of the capacity of the tank when kept cold.

Sorry, I don't follow, the amount of Co2 in the tank is the same regardless of temperature, right? The gauge wll read differently at a lower temperature, but the amount of Co2 in the tank is the same, either inside or outside the fridge.

Sorry, I don't follow, the amount of Co2 in the tank is the same regardless of temperature, right? The gauge wll read differently at a lower temperature, but the amount of Co2 in the tank is the same, either inside or outside the fridge.

yes. that's right. the amount of gas doesn't change, it's just that the cold temps cause it to "contract", if you will, which makes the pressure drop, and thus, the gauge read lower.

Got the same kit with a 20# tank just a week or 2 ago, pretty decent deal.

Mine came with a damaged low pressure gauge though so I've e-mailed them to get it resolved. Didn't help to find out my cheapo fridge was out of coolant so I need to find another as well.

I'm gonna keep my tank in the fridge/freezer when I get one just because it's easier.

my understanding was that keeping the CO2 tank in the fridge would not allow the CO2 to expand as much, thus not allowing you to use the tank to it's true "full" capacity... lol, i have no science to back this up, just my own experience and the guys @ KC!

yes. that's right. the amount of gas doesn't change, it's just that the cold temps cause it to "contract", if you will, which makes the pressure drop, and thus, the gauge read lower.

Actually, having it cold changes the pressure at which the CO2 'boils' from liquid to gas. Boiling, in general is variable with temperature and pressure. Lower pressure = liquid will boil at a lower temperature. Since the CO2 gauge is measuring the pressure of the gaseous CO2, you are actually measuring the pressure at which CO2 boils given the current temperature. If you lower the temperature, the amount of pressure required to boil drops and some gaseous CO2 converts to liquid CO2 until equilibrium is reached again. In other words, it's pretty much a useless gauge until you are just about of gas! :D

How was your experience with ordering from Keg Connection? I am looking to buy a 2 or 3 keg refridgerator conversion kit and their prices seem to be the best.

thanks guys, i get the idea behind the less gaseous expansive cold tank.
So far my experience with keg connection has been giving them my credit card number.
this is my first buy from them , but yes they have the best prices..
the Welcome to Beer-Wine.com warehouse is 1/4 mile from where i work , so i usually buy my stuff from them on a walk in basis (lunchtime!), but the kegging prices are twice as much there.i think it was like $250 for a single keg setup with tank...i work in a place where Airgas (welding/propane gas company) delivers to my business, so i decided not to purchase the c02 tank, since it is a swap the empty for a full one situation with them.all in all it was $179.00 shipped , no tank..anyhow, I got an orange maple IPA , and edvords applefwein i want to keg, so im super excited.
Question, anyone disabled the freezer to store the tank?

How was your experience with ordering from Keg Connection? I am looking to buy a 2 or 3 keg refridgerator conversion kit and their prices seem to be the best.

They are great - I bought mine from them. Ordered the four keg kit and received it one or two days later, already assembled. Great experience.

I know I'm hijacking but we're on the right topic...

I have been drooling over this for a couple of weeks 2 Keg Setup

It's cheaper (shipping is cheaper too) for that setup than the two keg setup from keg connection, and it has two regulators (i think). I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to this, any advise?

I know I'm hijacking but we're on the right topic...

I have been drooling over this for a couple of weeks 2 Keg Setup

It's cheaper (shipping is cheaper too) for that setup than the two keg setup from keg connection, and it has two regulators (i think). I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to this, any advise?

It's true the midwest setup comes with a dual regulators with 3 gauges. However, after doing a bunch a research on this forum before buying my 2 keg setup from KegConnection, I noticed a lot of complaints about midwest's regulator quality. With KegConnection, they will let you substitute the Taprite dual regulator with 3 gauges in place of the basic 2 gauge that comes with the system. You will have to pay the difference b/w the 2 regulators but if you opt out of the manifold that comes with the 2 keg setup as well, the total cost difference is around $50 bucks or so. You don't really need the manifold if you get the dual regulator for 2 kegs. Also, if you plan on upgrading from 2 kegs, the manifold or other distributor can be added down the road with no problems. I got my setup a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier. My only problem was one of the gas connects was a defect and I had to get another one. But there is another post on the forum that looks like a few others are having the same problem with the gas connects. So if you order from KegConnection, give em' a call to make sure they have cleared up the gas connect issues. Hope this helps

man i was really hoping to get this on friday , but it looks like delivery will be Monday...
as luck has it the neighbor at our work facility is a refrigeration company...yee-haw!
c02 gas exchange has never been easier.

ok i went next door to the refrigeration company and got a 20lb c02 tank for $150 thats full.
Are the fittings the dame as it is on a 5lb?

I had a great experience with KC as well, I would definitely order from them again. Fast shipping and everything was high quality.

I got the 2-tap tower system with Tapright dual regulators, Perlicks, and 10lb tank from KegConnection a couple of weeks ago. For everything including 2 cornys, 10lb tank, etc shipping was only like $26 or so. About the same as the shipping for just the cornys from other places. So I thought that was very reasonable.
They are excellent to deal with, ship fast, and have GREAT customer service. They will get all my kegging business.

YAY!, got the stuff today and yeah the 20lb tank fits with the regulator...
woo-hoo, i got 5 g ipa and 5 g applefwein to keg now!

I had a great experience with KC as well, I would definitely order from them again. Fast shipping and everything was high quality.

absolutely. The items did take 6 days to get from TX to MA, byt they were packed well, and it was all assembled and ready to use, along with instructions..
I am most definitely going to by my fridge taps from them.
I got pseudo permission. ( wife says "all you need is the tap on the outside , so i dont have to open the door"..) sounds like a go to me !:rockin:

well to follow up on this, I did drill the hole in the side of the fridge and used some rubber grommets i got from the local hardware store to protect the hoses,i got a 20# tank, so its too big to fit and have kegs as well.its a medium fridge, so i can get 2 cornys in there and still have the top shelf for a case of beer.Joe

Back