Pitch the liquid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff48

Reaction score
1st time using a starter after 14 great brew sessions.

I have a great starter going and am about 1 1/2 hours from pitching the yeasties. I made a 2 cup water to 1/2 cup DME mix and added 1 tube of British Yeast from White Labs a couple of days ago. I have about a 1/4 layer of yeast at the bottom of the 1 gallon jug.

Question: shall I pitch the yeast by swirling all the liquid around the jug and suspending all the yeast or should I pour off some of the liquid 1st and the swirl and pitch

Either method works. The school of thought is that if your final beer is going to be similar to the starter (i.e. Pale ale) then add the liquid and all, if you are making something like a stout or porter then you might want to pour off the liquid. For a starter similar in size to yours, I'd just pitch the whole thing.

They say it is best to pitch at high krausen. If you can do that, do that. It will take some time in the fridge to settle out. It is nice to get rid of that spent wort, but don't delay your brew or let the wort sit before pitching. But with that small a volume it won't make much difference.

Back